1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Whatever you do, don't make mistakes at Notre Dame

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Pringle, Jan 23, 2007.

1. Yeah, coming from a guy who calls himself "Shotglass" ..;)

My beef with your original post is this: why would Notre Dame be "pilloried" for a response less harsh? First off, pilloried by whom? Do we know that possession of marijuana= mandatory expulsion at Notre Dame? It seems to be a case-by-case basis. By virtually any standard, it seems to be a heavy-handed ruling, or if it is indeed that clear (pot=gone, which remains to be seen), a pretty harsh policy.

And when you talk about college athletics at large, I think you'd be hard pressed to find a university in a major athletic conference that would come down on a student this harshly under these types of circumstances. There are very few that would expell a kid on a first offense. So I find it hard to believe that Notre Dame would suffer in a court of public opinion, if that's what you're implying.

2. Cadet

Cadet Guest

For those who don't know, Notre Dame doesn't have fraternities/sororities because the whole fucking place is one giant frat. In a Harry Potter-esque way, students are divided into houses where they most likely stay for their entire duration of on-campus living. And on-campus living is often more than just the freshman year. There are no co-ed houses on campus, thus effectively turning each house into a de facto fraternity/sorority.

3. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Good thing ND doesn't have ANY football players that like weed. That could be trouble. ;)

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

DONNA MARTIN GRADUATES! DONNA MARTIN GRADUATES!!!

(is on right now)

5. Cadet

Cadet Guest

All right, I've got the goods from an inside source. My brother is a former assistant rector (basically Head RA) at an ND dorm:

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Oh, so now Notre Dame should be controlling the police and making sure they arrest any underage drinkers. This just gets better and better.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Sigh.

Notre Dame has a policy of punishing students who break certain laws i.e. illegal drugs.

Since underage drinking is illegal, why aren't they targeting these people as wel?

If there is drinking going on at university sanctioned events such as football games and the school doesn't act--by policing it, then the school is condoning that behavior, and in light of the expulsion of the kid for his dope-related arrest, is being hypocritical.

Pretty simple logic.

8. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

No. Students aren't expelled for underage drinking. If they get "caught" on campus -- which typically meant getting sent to the hospital, getting in a significant fight, running afoul of campus police, etc., far more than say, just plain drinking or even puking in view of an authority figure -- they usually got sent to "Res Life:" internal discipline, fine, counseling, that sort of thing. The more often you went, the worse they hit you.
    If they got caught off campus, as I believe this guy did, then they're subject to local law enforcement, which, in a city of 100,000, isn't exactly Barney Fife. Plus referral to Res Life.
    As for drugs, when I was there five years ago I knew a couple of guys who got kicked out of the dorms for drug use, another who got referred to Res Life for pot. But there wasn't really a lot of drugs being used, at least at the time. Expulsion would strike me as pretty harsh, even if it is on the books (you can get expelled for being caught in the dorm of the opposite sex after midnight, according to the books). My purely speculative guess is that this wasn't the kid's first time.

9. outofplace

I thought you were done on this thread. :)

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Well, I was until you showed up again . :)

11. outofplace

Yeah, I have a gift for drawing people out.

12. KP

KP Active Member

About the BC Sean Williams/Akita McLain thing, anyone out there hearing the "g" word being tossed around?

Draft saved Draft deleted