1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Whatever you do, don't make mistakes at Notre Dame

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Pringle, Jan 23, 2007.

1. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

2. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

From the article:

According to du Lac, the Notre Dame student handbook, use of marijuana or other controlled substances by Notre Dame students is considered a serious offense, punishable by dismissal from school.

He knew the rules and the penalty. Apparently he broke the rules too. If so, shouldn't he be subject to the rules?

If your comments are about our nation's marijuana policies, I'm with you 100 percent. But the rules are the rules. I detest ND and do not defend the institution lightly. But I'm not sure how this is "crap."

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

C'mon, it's Notre Dame. The only place where a university president can piss and moan about being "a minor league for professional sports," and all the while his school pockets millions from NBC.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Further proof that the War on Drugs is working.

Do they kick you out for underage drinking as well?

So much for Christian love.

5. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

As much as I tend to agree with you, I take a separate stance on this. While keeping marijuana illegal is stupid, it's still against the law and this guy knew the school's policy.

6. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

At some point common sense has to prevail. There's no indication that this kid had a history of being a problem. I can even understand being kicked off the team. But out of school entirely? There has to be a way you can serve your penance without getting the death penalty for one stupid joint.

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Funny, I didn't see anyone saying that Boston College's policy sucks when Williams got the boot for his marijuana violation. I'll chalk it up to hatred for ND.

Guy knew the rules, broke em and is being held accountable. What's the problem here?

8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

It's not exactly the death penalty either. Story said he can reapply for admission for the summer session.

9. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Preach it, brother bigpern!

10. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

A little off the subject, but in my experience, I've never met a group of kids more pretentious and self-righteous than those on the 'Student Affairs Committees'.

Again, that's just my experience....

11. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

No, Big, it's just the double-edged sword that is Notre Dame. The schools is always likely to draw more interest than a place like BC, in good times and bad.

And I know this is a straw man, but I wonder what would have happened if this were Brady Quinn or Jeff Samaerardlkjdfal;df.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Doesn't Williams have a history of problems before the one that got him dismissed from the team? I thought that was the case both with him and with McClain.

That does make a difference.

Draft saved Draft deleted