1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Whatever Happened to Concern for Foreign Oil Dependency ?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Jan 31, 2010.

1. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

2. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

No, don't put words into my mouth and then try to make ridiculous "gotcha points'....

My original assertion is that the healthcare legislation is poorly crafted and mostly because Obama was far more concerned with getting it passed - then claiming some sort of ridiculous hollow victory -- then he was with actually fixing or solving whatever issues he or anyone else believes need to be fixed.

That is a fact that cannot even be argued.

As for how to fix or solve the problem, I don't know that we've ever clearly and honestly defined what exactly the problem is -- which is why crafting together bad legislation is putting the cart before the horse.

3. zagoshe

Again, who did I call names? I didn't call anyone names and your cut and paste proves it.

4. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

How could he fix anything if the proposed fixes wouldn't pass Congress?

'Crafted the legislation in a way he thought it would pass'?

Uh ... duh? That's how it works.

5. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

So which is it Zag? You want him to actually do something, get legislation passed, and bring the change he was promised to do by all the hypemongers out there?

Or do you want him to slow down and actually craft the legislation so that it makes sense and works. Because you original post seemed remarkably dissatisfied that he hadn't gotten anything done so far.

Is it hard talking out of both sides of your mouth? Because it seems like you've become a walking GOP talking point machine.

6. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

Calling people "Stupid" and "Ignorant" is no way to advance your argument, Zag. You've got some good points ... but they're negated by your pissy tone. Try again, without the crap.

7. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

You said I was acting stupid, and then decided to yet again go off on a tangent about something that has nothing to do with the discussion at hand.

It seems you are as concerned with tweaking people on here as having a serious discussion. As such, I am done here.

8. zagoshe

Exactly, I didn't say you were stupid, because I know you are not, I said you were acting stupid and you were because you were trying to play that silly gotcha game which is both an old and tiresome ploy in these forums and every bit as much a deterrent to good discussion as the trolling and name calling and pissing matches that people engage in.

9. zagoshe

OK, once again stop trying to play gotcha and put words in my mouth......

I want President Obama to be the kind of politician I thought he was -- a guy who is thoughtful and visionary, a guy who could make REAL changes and have the courage to stand up to the lunatic lefties in his party and move things forward.

I am disappointed, not because he hasn't done anything, but because all he has done the same kind of silly cosmetic political crapola that will neither change anything, fix anything or solve anything.

He hasn't changed a thing about Washington, the way we do business and the way we do politics other than continue to try and make it more expensive and more expansive.

I have no problem with "health care reform" if it is actually legitimate healthcare reform, unfortunately it is legislation designed to (a) pass and (b) allow a politician to run around the country claiming victory regardless of what the consequence of the legislation actually is....

If you need a recent example of this see Bush, George and Iraq war resolutions.

10. zagoshe

That is exhibit A as to what is wrong with our current system - we write bills in order to get them to pass and create sound bytes instead of bills that actually will do what they are intended to do.

And I thought if ever there was a politician with the vision and political capital to pull it off, it was Obama.

But so far, he's failed, miserably.

11. Yes, who among us can't recall those bygone days when Zag used to wax poetic on here about how Obama was a different kind of politician who was going to be a visionary and point the country in a whole new direction. It was amazing how much he cast all cynicism aside during the election of 2008 and heaped praise on the Democratic candidate.

::)

12. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

Nothing like revisionist history, huh?

Draft saved Draft deleted