1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Whatever Happened to Concern for Foreign Oil Dependency ?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Jan 31, 2010.

1. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Uh, no, I'm asking you to point out the pieces in the house and senate's versions of healthcare reform that are "kissing up to special interests and listening to bad advice from lobbyists."

And how he could have gone about "(a) actually solving/fixing the problems and (b) done so at a reasonable cost."

2. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Of course it is, but anything that is sure to get the reacharound crew whining is always worth throwing out there.....

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I'd also think the whole foreign oil thing has been put on the back burner, so to speak, because the current administration doesn't have ties to Big Oil.

4. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

So there's no point to your post except starting a pissing contest. Okay then! Carry on.. :D

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

So you mean it's not an issue because the left can't make a political issue out of it?

They can't scream, "Haliburton!" and remind us that Bush was an oil man?

6. zagoshe

You are joking right?

The whole damn idea of "healthcare legislation" is Obama kissing up to left-wing lobbys and the unions - it is classic "class warfare" and if Obama really wanted to solve some of the issues with healthcare he'd be looking to rollback many regulations and laws on the books which have destroyed the system in the first damn place.

Obama tried hard to show he was a champion for the left wing organizations who elected him by taking on health care first -- instead of really taking a long look at it, studying it, listening to advice from non-political people and then putting forth a piece of legislation that makes sense.

Instead, he -- along with the democrats in congress - keep flipping and flopping, rewriting and revising -- not because they want to solve the problem or fix the system but instead because they want to find a way to get it to pass and then claim some sort of hollow victory.

Don't play this game with me and don't act stupid, or if you want to go to that other place where nobody ever disagrees and anyone who does disagree is labeled a troll and then they actually celebrate the fact that their ignorance is bliss......

7. zagoshe

No, the entire post was about the discussion - that sentence, however, was meant to tweak a few who took their ball and ran home and spend all day whining about what goes on here..... ;D

8. fishhack2009

Nah. We know it's all about politics in your world, but sorry to disappoint you, YF. It's just no longer a national priority to help line Big Oil's pockets.

9. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

You're not providing answers to your original assertion.

How could he have (a) actually solved/fixed the problems and (b) done so at a reasonable cost.

10. fishhack2009

Come on, Zag. This is the kind of bullshit that got the politics board shut down. GB asked you a legitimate question. How about trying to answer it in a thoughtful way instead of calling people stupid and resorting to name-calling?

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

No, it's the way it is because when someone has ties to something, their actions and integrity can be called into question as a conflict of interest.

It's like Repubs jumping on Obama for his 'Chicago' connections. If the same thing happened, but the connections were from New York, there wouldn't be the same impact in the charges.

12. zagoshe

Who did I call names?

And my answer is exactly what I said -- Obama crafted together the legislation in a way he thought it would pass instead of taking a look at the issue and putting together something that might actually fix the problems.

I don't think there is really even any way to debate or argue that point.

The speed with which he tried to hammer the thing through -- no doubt because he knows it will be DOA if it makes it to another session of congress which won't be so favorable to him -- tells you everything you need to know about how well thought out it was.

Draft saved Draft deleted