1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Whatever 21 wants, Kindred gives

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Dave Kindred, Jul 9, 2010.

1. Dave Kindred

Dave Kindred Member

It was 21 who asked me long ago to post a note when the damned book was done. And who turns down 21? So here....

The first review...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/07/05/AR2010070502547.html

And, a couple weeks earlier, shameless shilling...

http://sportsjournalism.org/sports-media-news/considering-the-kindle-and-other-self-indulgent-thoughts-of-a-recently-published-author/

2. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

I'm a sucker for these books so really looking forward to this one. Just finished Behind The Times, a book from the early 1990s about the New York Times, by Edwin Diamond, which seems like it might be similar in tone.

And on my bookshelf right next to me are The Franchise, the superb history of SI; Rolling Stone Magazine, the uncensored history; It Wasn't Pretty Folks But Didn't We Have Fun, about Esquire; and A Bomb in Every Issue, a history of Ramparts magazine. All must-reads for anyone who loves nonfiction writing. This one on the Post seems like a great addition.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Ordered.

And considering you blew off my class to work on it, this book better be outstanding!

(Dave did come the following week and make up for it with a great talk. So everyone else buy the book, too)

4. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

Dave:
    I would love for you to do a book about The National. It would make a great read. "17 Months at Sea."

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Ordered as well. A giant in our field. Buy it, SportsJournalists.com. A book on the National would be awesome as well.

6. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

Looking forward to reading the book, Dave.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I worked with a bunch of guys who worked at The National and one time when we were all at a work party, and they started sharing stories and talked all night long. I was about 23 at the time and I hung on every word.

I loved the SI book, but that was more than a decade ago.

8. huntsie

huntsie Active Member

Didn't mean to provoke the "shameless shilling", but looking forward to a great read! Mine was preordered through Amazon. Best of luck with it, Dave!

9. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Waited a long time to read this one. Straight to the Kindle! (Oh, what the hell is this, $14.82 on Kindle?? Sheesh. Okay, but only because you put me in the title of this thread!)

10. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I'm going to order one. Where do I send it to have it autographed by the author? (try THAT with a kindle or nook)

11. EagleMorph

EagleMorph Member

Am I the only one who finds it ironic that you're ordering the digital version of a book that presumably talks quite a bit about the changes the Post has made to deal with the digital age?

12. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

The USPS delivered mine today. :)

Looking forward to reading it, Dave.

Draft saved Draft deleted