1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What you would do to keep your job

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Drip, Sep 13, 2008.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

I don't think any job is worth risking my life. That being said, and I don't think this is a d_b,, if you were asked to cover a hurricane or a hostage situation up close and personal, would you do it?

2. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Hostage situation: No way.
    Hurricane: Perhaps.

3. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

I'd offer up a Klondike Bar...

4. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I'd likely do anything for a Klondike bar. But I'd cover a hurricane or a hostage situation. To be honest, I like risks, and I'd be OK sacrificing my life for something that has the possibility to be special. I'd definitely volunteer before anyone with a family.

And, seriously, my life is important to me, but I don't treasure it right now, if that makes sense. I'd put a lot of things in front of it -- friends, family and, right now, work. At this moment, I'd sacrifice almost anything for the product, including my health and safety. Part of that is because I'm not bound by a family. But, and I've been thinking about this since high school, when I die, I want it to benefit someone. If I had the capability, I'd be really bummed if I died and it didn't positively affect someone's life. I'm not sure covering a news or sporting event would get that job done, so to speak, but I'd take it over dying in my sleep. Who knows, it might influence a few people.

5. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

Ya know, I thought about being a fireman once. But after realizing, I COULD DIE, i quickly changed my mind.
    Now that I'm older and wiser, I'll definitely stick to sporting events.

6. RossLT

RossLT Guest

Even when I was a writer I never felt like that was it for me. I loved life way to much to give it up for a story for a paper that, if the worst happens, would mourn me for about 30 seconds and then wring their hands on how not to fill my spot to save money. I work to live, not the other way around and I have not lived anywhere near the kind of live that I want to live to give it up for a job.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I'd cover anything.

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

Damn.

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

I used to think that way. That was until I was covering a high school game on Thanksgiving in Camden, N.J. and two motorcycle gangs decided to get it on. Changed my mind pretty quickly. My life is far more important than a byline. I'm not taking a bullet for the team or management.

10. RossLT

RossLT Guest

True that, Drip.

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I had to go into harrowing places in Jamaica, places that made third-world look like middle-class, places I thought I'd never get out alive, and once a rastafarian came after me with a machete. Had to cover some gritty shit in Roswell, too. If I take a bullet I take a bullet. Such is life. Maybe I'd have a camera and photograph my own death when the bullet tears through, and explodes, my heart.

I can say that because I have no girlfriend, wife, kids or anything else beside myself to worry about.

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

Yeah, but you do have you. You have to look after yourself.

Draft saved Draft deleted