1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What would you not miss?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by alleyallen, Mar 27, 2008.

?

If you left the business, what's the one thing you WON'T miss?

1. The hours

32 vote(s)
    30.2%
  2. The pay

32 vote(s)
    30.2%
  3. The daily stress

13 vote(s)
    12.3%
  4. Co-workers

7 vote(s)
    6.6%
  5. Idiot readers

21 vote(s)
    19.8%
  6. Headlines

1 vote(s)
    0.9%
  7. All local fronts

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Obviously, we may need to add additional options to this poll.

When I left the business three years ago, it was with a very heavy heart. But I have to admit, the one thing I don't miss is the constant threat of an all-local front, especially when there really isn't enough good news to qualify.

2. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

The pay. The bosses. The hours.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I voted hours. Idiot readers were close, though.

Many days a boring 9-5 job seems pretty good.

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Hours, stress, readers. Don't miss any of 'em.

And you forgot the idiot managers.

5. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I voted the same way.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I miss the people. I worked with some terrific people. Of course, I talk to some of them more now than I did when I was their supervisor.

I miss nothing else. I thought I'd miss the "thrill of the chase" but I don't.

7. captzulu

captzulu Member

I voted the hours, and really that is the biggest improvement for me since I left (not so much the number of hours, but the graveyard shifts). Idiot readers were a close second. It's so great to be able to pick up the phone at work without worrying that it's 50-50 that there's an irate moron on the other end ready to tear you a new one for the most retarded of reasons. Oh, and I don't miss the fear of walking in tomorrow to find that a few more of my friends and co-workers have been sent packing.

But I do miss the people, and I do miss the craft. But I find that I can still hang out with those people outside of work, and that I can scratch the itch in ways other than working a fulltime newspaper job.

8. Wendell Gee

Wendell Gee Member

Nearly nine months after getting out, there are a lot of things I don't miss. But the hours would still top the list. It's going to be nice to go home tonight and actually watch the alma mater.

9. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

For me, the whole all-local front was especially painful at times because it was a small-ish community, which meant fewer reporters. Despite our best efforts, enterprise efforts were few and far between, although we constantly discussed trying to do them.

10. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

We can always change the co-worker part to idiot co-workers...that would nicely include the managers.

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I voted for the hours. The Saturday morning events after late Friday night football come to mind.

Co-workers would be a mixed bag. Oddly, at my last paper I was happiest around the people who didn't work in sports. Did like my boss though.

12. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Wouldn't miss the hours or the ME at all.

Draft saved Draft deleted