1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What would you guys do?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Yawn, Aug 20, 2006.

1. Yawn

Yawn New Member

We, an under 30,000 paper, just got bought by one of the cheap newspaper groups in the country that is now trying to squeeze the financial well-being out of the workforce. The head of news left and with it, the advocate of the department. I sense that both were stress-related, and I'd leave it at that. We're told that no new hires will be made, we live in a journalism-weak educational culture (ie, no decent journalism programs to pick part-timers and stringers from), so as the workforce decreases, the less relevant we've become in areas that readers wanted and expected. Our press area is also down to two guys setting pages and they're looking at not replacing the guy that just left, meaning these guys are working seven days, sometimes 14 hours, and they're not just doing our paper but several others within the company.

Imagine being in a position where you see morale crumbling at every turn. How would you approach the ultimate PTB to discuss this, knowing that your case is pretty much hopeless anyway. I mean, not a person in this joint is not looking for another job. What would you do, or what have you done in a similar situation and been successful in getting across?

2. Smokey33

Smokey33 Member

I'd find a new place to work. I'd also laugh off the incompetence of your new owners as much as possible between now and then.

3. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Apparently you're not too happy down here at Shangri-La.

4. Only one option. Leave as soon as possible.

5. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Shiney up that resume and get to know your postmaster well.

6. Bob_Jelloneck

Bob_Jelloneck Member

7. Buckeye12

Buckeye12 Member

You don't need a reason to leave, you need a reason to stay.
    If she's not giving you one, you don't have even that. Got to go.
    30,000 circulation? I heard they're hiring 2 guys in Lima, Ohio. Similar size paper.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i'd stay man. ride this one out to the bitter end. should be a lot of fun.

please come back and give us weekly updates on how it's going so we can feel better about ourselves, though.

9. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

God bless Bob Jelenic.

10. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Problem? What problem? Damn journalists. A whiney, overpaid lot.

11. schrdp2002

schrdp2002 Member

time to find a new place to work

12. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

Yawn, I feel what you're saying. But the thing is, follow your gut. When you start thinking that maybe it's time to leave, then it's time to leave.

Draft saved Draft deleted