1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What would you go to school for if you were me?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Sneed, Jul 28, 2009.

1. Sneed

Sneed Guest

OK, a lot of you know me on here, but if you don't....

I'm 22. Just graduated with BS in masscom, concentration print/electronic journalism. Blah blah.

I went into journalism primarily because I love, love, love to write, and have some talent that I really want to develop. That said, developing talent doesn't support the wife. Luckily, we both saved awesomely so we have plenty to live off until we get the full-time jobs in our careers we want.

But I want to just write. That's all I care to do. I'm starting to make solid headway in my freelancing career, but my ideal career track would be to become an author--as in, books--while writing for magazines and such on the side. I write fiction in my spare time, and I'm working on a nonfiction sports book right now.

However, I'm also good enough in front of groups to teach, so I'm planning to go back to school to get some degree so I can teach in college to have some steady income while writing on the side. Is this a realistic plan?

I am just wondering what all you grizzled veterans out there think. I just need some people who have "been there" to sound off on what I'm thinking and offer some guidance, however biting and sarcastic it may be.

I'm basically considering (1) an MFA, preferably in nonfiction creative writing, but possibly in fiction; or (2) a master's in mass communications, to segue into a PhD.

Thoughts, criticisms, anything?

Thanks.....

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

English.

With a Masters in English, as long as there are community colleges, you should never be unemployed.

3. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I agree with RickStain.

Actually, three different people who know me to varying degrees asked me if I've considered going into teaching. I have another friend who teaches in the Godless County (not its real name) school system who'd be a solid reference for me.

I might recommend teaching at the high school level so you can learn a bit about classroom management techniques. My schoolteacher friend recommended I start by teaching in the elementary schools first so I could learn how to control a classroom. Teaching at each level (early childhood, elementary, secondary, college) presents totally different challenges.

I guess the only point behind my typing this is that I'm in a similar boat to yours. Best of luck, man. From what I've seen, you're already one of the good'uns of this board.

4. Sneed

Sneed Guest

I much appreciated RS and f_t's help up there, but I wanted to bump this just to see if anyone else felt like sounding off.

I'm young! I want your advice!

OK thanks.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Mortuary school. Funeral homes are going to do huge business as the Baby Boomers die.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Good idea, and you can still write the obits.

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

There is not a lot of turnover in the language arts division at most community colleges. Keep that in mind.
    You should get an MBA with a focus in marketing. You can do a lot of things with that and a journalism/writing skill set.

8. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Ding.

9. Why did you get married at 22 (or earlier)? :eek: :eek: :eek:

And what's with this "support the wife?" You gonna let her live off you scott-free?

10. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

At least he isn't bangin' 18-year-old players he used to cover.

11. Not as bad as getting married at <22.

12. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I got married at 21. What's the problem with it?

Draft saved Draft deleted