1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Would You Do?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by HorseWhipped, Jun 3, 2009.

1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

It's not punishing people to force them to pay for the system that allowed them to make the money to begin with.

2. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Hey TX-

No... I do not share OT's view on property owners and voting rights. That's a bit too 1957 in Mississippi for me. Please don't lump me in with that group...

So you don't feel ANY differently about your taxes if you are not paying "formal" property taxes? School districts loooove homeowners like that. Oh -- another $177 dollars per $100,000? No big deal. :)

My biggest issue with right now is the element of vilification of people who make good money. Our president was, essentially, out on the campaign trail (and still is in a way), talking about people making 250k paying their fair share.

Those people already pay it.

The taxes they pay at 28 or 31% (even after their deductions) federal keep the taxes lower for the rest of us. I think we paid 16% total federal, after deductions.

But when you've had a President who campaigned on a platform of pitchforks - that is, taxing the high-earners and hitting up businesses to pay for more benefits (especially health care premiums).. they will take preemptive action.

They'll stop spending their money.

Example -- let's say you make $150,000 a year and, last year, you went on the Obama 2008 site - did the tax calculation and saw you would not get a tax cut. You knew, from the rhetoric, your taxes would go up. So...you cut your spending. No vacation. No new car. Less money in the economy.

Now for businesses -- once Obama pulled ahead for good in August, businesses braced for what was to come. As the rich curbed their spending, less money came in. Companies reacted with cutbacks.

It's a vicious cycle -- all started from campaign rhetoric and hearing what an awful country we are. Cheap politics to get voted in? Oh sure -- although, Obama would have won in 2008, even without the pitchfork/populist element.

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

What you call pitchfork-populist rhetoric involved bringing the top rate back to what it was under Reagan -- which was then postponed when the economy tanked.

Perhaps a little less talk radio?

4. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

They already do, no?

5. RickStain

Apparently not, because the system isn't paying for itself. We're in debt up to our eyeballs.

6. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Trust me, it isn't because of the "rich."

7. RickStain

I don't trust you.

8. You can't possibly be serious.

9. RickStain

Yes. And it's a perfectly reasonable and common idea, so why not rebut it instead of acting incredulous?

10. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

There's your first mistake. :D

11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I would outlaw the term Global Warming.

[​IMG]

:D :D :D

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I blame that on unsustainable cost of "the system." Not the people paying half their income to the government.

Draft saved Draft deleted