1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What would you do?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by boots, Dec 29, 2006.

1. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Let's at least treat this as a matter of subjective preferences. The idea that New York is the "greatest city in the world" and that Mississippi is a "cultural wasteland" are very debatable.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'm just joking. I assumed spnited was being snarky/sarcastic.

3. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

He has to decide which situation will make him happier:
    - Working in a place he hates
    - Being unemployed in a place he likes

As a north Jersey native who is now in central Jersey, there's no way I could handle living in Mississippi. In the mid/late 90s a weekend was all I could take of Kentucky (Lexington) before I wanted to get back to Jersey...and I imagine that Mississippi would be worse.

4. boots

boots New Member

No, that's definitely not the case. I think spnited may have hit it on the head. It's a huge difference from northern N.J. to rural central Mississippi. It's why I can't fault him for being hessitant.

5. writing irish

Sorry Ace, I've been living in a low-irony part of the country for a long time and my irony detector is rusty. It's all literal around these parts.

EStreet, I personally hate Kentucky. I like Mississippi, though. It's way more down to earth.

Rural Mississippi is definitely an intimidating prospect on some levels...I'd be ok on the Gulf Coast or in Jackson or Oxford or Greenville or a Memphis suburb. But bumfuck Central Miss, hmm, well...I'd take the job, but I understand the hesitation. If he goes, tell him not to eat the boiled peanuts.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Now, see, I like boiled peanuts and Kentucky. So we may have to fight this out after all.

7. writing irish

My antipathies for Kentucky and boiled peanuts aren't deep or dear enough to my heart for me to bother discussing.

[​IMG]

I've heard that eating too many boiled peanuts can cause involuntary vowel movements, though. :)

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I like Mississippi too, Irish.

9. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I would invite him over to watch the movie Deliverance. Surely, Boots, you must have a copy of that movie. I would replay that scene several times.

Yes, I know it's really Georgia, but all good Yankees know it's the same thing.

During the movie, I would serve peanuts. Boiled peanuts. They are a gray, disgusting mess, but Southerners seem to enjoy them.

Then you could have a heart-to-heart about inbreeding. I understand there's a lot of that in the South.

Has your friend considered that he might be able to get by with a smaller house in Mississippi? I understand it is acceptable there to keep the washing machine on the front porch, meaning he could get by without a laundry room. Also, shoes are optional, except for church.

10. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Colonel Ridgeway, as a point of southern authenticity, you may want to serve your steamy goobers in a small bag or cardboard cup marked boil p-nuts. Consider it a matter of gracious hospitality.

And then prepare to defend yourself from the aggrieved honor of the board's various southern members, who will no doubt take solemn umbrage at your Caldwellian characterization of that region's casual relationship to footwear.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Or you could serve them as a refreshing cocktail, dunked in a bottle of co-cola.

12. writing irish

If you reject the South in toto that's fine, but a total rejection of southern culture means that all the rock-n-roll and jazz and country in your music library has to go. The mix of African and European styles that created all of those forms happened in...yep, you guessed it. Get ready to polka or ceili, yankees. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted