1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What would you do? (Need some advice)

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JD, Mar 10, 2008.

1. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

What do you want to do?

2. PTOWN

PTOWN Member

I remember when I was 20 years old and worried about building my portfolio and career. My advice is to have as much fun as you can and not worry about getting ahead. There's plenty of time left for you to hustle and work your ass off. Your 20, so to me that means your most important task is to find someone 21 who looks like you and ask to buy his I.D. so you aren't standing outside a liquor store shoulder tapping someone's grandma. I don't understand these college kids who are supremely driven. Go have some fun.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I was at a journalism conference where they said that 95 percent of people in print journalism will never make more than $50K a year...

I used to find that difficult to believe, but I went to a retirement party for a very well-respected journalist, who worked at a paper in a college town for more than 30 years... When we were all toasting him, he said, "This makes up for the fact that I never made more than $37K in a year..."

That's fucking frightening... Guy was pretty good too... If I listed his name nobody would believe that he never made that much...

4. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

JD, I know how you feel.

I left journalism and ended up in retail.

I applied for a photog position and didn't get it, but it was no sweat.

You can always string.

Draft saved Draft deleted