1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What would you do if you got a huge raise?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by PeteyPirate, Jul 3, 2006.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

A wealth of data in recent decades has shown that once personal wealth exceeds about $12,000 a year, more money produces virtually no increase in life satisfaction.

Bull fucking shit.

You have two people with the exact same lives and problems - one making $12k a year, one making $150k a year - I guarantee you the $150k guy would be happier.

This article is complete and utter nonsense.

2. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Good point. Another compelling argument.

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Yeah, but poor people take trips somewhere nearby, like Wichita. Rich people can fly anywhere and escape. Might be the same activity, yes, but it's a lot different when you've got money to do something with it.

4. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

I don't think it's talking about annual salary, but personal wealth, which would probably be (i'm guessing here) the amount of disposable income after expense are met.

5. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Poin, I say this knowing you don't make $12k, so this isn't aimed at you....but someone who gets a 100% raise is going to spend 100% more money.  The new car, home improvements, extra vacations, more shoes, bigger TVs, season tickets, better restaurants....you can enjoy all that and STILL have problems paying the bills and saving.  It's human nature....no one ever says 'I'm going to make $150k but live like I make $50k.'

On the other hand, I do know massively wealthy people who live like 'regular' people...you would never know the size of their affluence.  No doubt the result of knowing you have the money, and don't need to show it or use it. But that is another story.

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Perhaps you are right. The fact that intelligent people are analyzing and re-reading that paragraph reflects the point that that is an incredibly poorly written paragraph.

7. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

lol.......was thinkin the exact same thing when i read this thread!!

8. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

Are we the same person?

9. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

God, I hope not for your sake.

10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

11. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

Mo' money, mo' problems.

12. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

When I did my career shift a year ago, then got a raise eight months in, it actually did quite a bit to increase my happiness, because it gave me just a little more financial freedom. That being said, if I got a notable pay raise, I'd either use the extra money to get a new car or pay extra on my mortgage.

Draft saved Draft deleted