1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What would happen if Americans stopped smoking?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MisterCreosote, Sep 19, 2011.

1. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Unfortunate skydiving accident?

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Depends if you consider dying from a disease caused by your smoking "going out naturally" or not.

3. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Maybe she intends to get eaten by lions. Ever think of that?

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I do. And I'm not.

5. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Hey, if every smoker and soft-drink drinker signs a pledge to be eaten by lions by their 50th birthday, I'd be all for giving them a waiver on these sin taxes. Otherwise, pony up, fuckers.

6. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Painless? What are you, a liberal?

7. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

First they come for your smokes and soft drinks. Then they come for your soul.

8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

HA! Joke's on them, then!

9. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

And the book was even better than the movie...

10. jackfinarelli

The recipients of that philanthropy are probably impressed. Remember, in order for those folks to give $18M a year to charity, there have to be charitable organizations willing to take the money...

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Careful you don't dislocate your shoulder with that reach. Got one actual example of a charity refusing their money? You might find a few, but I'm guessing the real limit is how much they want to give. They do enough to try to clean up their image, but not much compared to what the industry makes.

12. jackfinarelli

My point was that the charitable organizations that took the reported $18M per year had to be sufficiently appreciative of the money to take it - - or they would have rejected it. I am sure that some charities do not take "tobacco money"; I would suspect that the American Lung Association would not take money from the Marlboro Man but I don't know that for sure.

Giving to charity is done for lots of reasons - - only one of which is to gain favorable recognition within a community. I think it is quite a stretch for anyone to judge the motivation(s) of any donor and an even bigger stretch to suppose that someone can determine how much a donor ought to give to charities.

According to this report tobacco companies give $18M a year to charities. That is a good thing. It does not justify the tobacco industry but it is still a good thing. Presumably, the charities did positive things with the money...

Draft saved Draft deleted