1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What will make 2012 stand out for you?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by WriteThinking, Dec 30, 2012.

1. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

There's about 30 hours left of 2012 and I'm still not sure what to make of the year. I've been out of newspapers since August, which makes me sad but may ultimately be a net positive. I did manage to erase some past mistakes that had hovered over me for years, possibly opening up new avenues even if I don't know what they are just yet.

If nothing else, I have a better idea of where I don't want to be and what I don't want out of life, which I suppose is progress. Hopefully the coming year will bring more progress in the affirmative.

2. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Here's what stands out for me:

My youngest child started college.

My brother got divorced and the steady stream of ex-wife bs has been flowing.

Everything else in Monde du Noveliste seems kind of trivial by comparison.

3. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

2012 has definitely been a monumental year for me:

After 18 years I decided to get off the Titanic (the newspaper business). I took a monumental leap of faith, gave my two weeks' notice and quit. I quit with a plan to go into teaching, but with none prospects of work. That lasted about three weeks, and now I'm on my way in a new career that I not only enjoy, but gives me a vastly improved quality of life and ultimately a sizable pay raise. I am half way to getting my masters. When I took my Praxis test to get certified, I was kind of nervous. I had listened to horror stories from people who had to take it at least twice, sometimes three or more. I went in the first time out and not only passed, but crushed it.

When all this started going down about the career switch, there were a whole lot of sleepless nights. Now, I couldn't be happier about the direction I'm headed. I just wish I would have done it 10 years ago. Leaving the newspaper was like being released from indentured servitude or prison.

I started running and have lost 30 pounds. I was never fat, but the waist line was getting a little long. I am 41, weigh less and feel better than any point in the last 10 years. I have already completed two half marathons and am working toward a marathon early in 2013.

I am very active in my Lodge and hold a major office in three of the four bodies to which I belong. I bought a brand new truck in January, and thanks to my wife, it was paid of in November.

4. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Lots of standout things for 2012:

One daughter started high school, one started kindergarten, watched my son go from a baby to a toddler, wifee had some great career success.

Sorry to those who had a crap year. Here's hoping for a good 2013.

5. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

Life was not worth living this year.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I was fired in June. I have nothing right now other than sobriety.

7. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

2012 was awesome for me. Got a great new job. Took a cool vacation. Bought a house. I'm happy. 2013 has a high bar to top.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

It wasn't a really big year for me. Professionally and personally, things were about the same as 2011. We all are still alive, and have our health, did a couple of fun things, and only had a couple of minor crisises. Basically, a cruise-control year. I'll take it.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

No longer working for myself...
    And there's still 24 hours for Sluggo to be banned, which would cap off the year right.

10. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Was forced out of a job, had my dad tell me that at some point he was driving around and couldn't remember where he was, and had a dog that cost me upward of $2K in vet bills.

Also found a great new job, got my credit card debt gone (or at least will by Jan. 18) and made some good strides in my personal life.

So, really, no one thing.

11. Proposed to the love of my life and heard her say yes.

Left newspapers, likely for good, and found that I could tell the same stories and get far more credit as the PR man for a small college. Love my new job (and paycheck). All in all, a great 2012 for Bristol Whipped.

Just hoping I don't fuck it all up in 2013.

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Also to Creosote's best friend? You Mormons!

Anyhoo, I will remember this as the year fuck box had an all-SJ contest and didn't think to have a Poster of the Year tiebreaker.

Draft saved Draft deleted