1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What were you like as a kid?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mizzougrad96, Mar 10, 2014.

1. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I was the class clown and obsessed with sports. I would get into trouble for talking too much in class, but nothing serious because I always did the work and got good grades.

My kid is the same way.

2. Here me roar

Here me roar Guest

Top student, athletic, socially awkward, prone to emotional outbursts.

3. John

John Well-Known Member

I was happy, funny, curious, energetic, imaginative, a little spoiled, a very good tennis player (but not as good as my older brothers), an enthusiastic reader but otherwise bored with school (that continued through much of college), and I attended my first KISS concert with I was in 6th grade (Animalize tour).

I'd hope others would mostly say the same about me, but our perception of ourselves is seldom spot on. To them I might have been an annoying dick.

4. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I was an all-city wrestler who refused to talk to the newspaper after losses.

5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

My dad was the No. 2 administrator at my high school. My parents and older brother didn't get along (circa 1967-69, typical generation gap stuff, now they are besties) and fought all the time. I wanted nothing to do with that so I was a good kid who got average grades, generally stayed out of trouble, tried to keep a low profile, was average at sports, wasn't in the "jet set" at my high school but got along with the "cool" kids and had a good group of friends myself. People couldn't believe my older brother and I were related.

Middle child of two middle children. Born to compromise and fly under the radar and to this day I don't like being singled out for attention.

6. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I hope you still have all the hair.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I do, but longer. Been growing it for 3 years with the intent to donate it.

Took this 4 days ago.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

This was the case for me as well. It came very easy to me and, as such, I didn't work very hard at it. I often left assignments until the last minute and did enough to get a high B or a low A. I definitely coasted and, in hindsight, wish I had faced a little more academic adversity.

I actually think that if it had been a little more difficult, I would have done better. I've always been the type to respond well to challenges, I just was rarely challenged when I was younger.

I think I could have scored in the high 1400s or low 1500s on the SAT if I had prepared for it at all. Scored a 1300 and got into all but one of the colleges I applied to (Notre Dame), but I could have done better.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Same here... When I was in 8th grade, they had my honors english class take the SAT as some kind of experiment. I got an 1190 and there was part of me that kind of felt like, "Well, I don't really need to worry about high school too much..." I got a 1420 in high school and got into every school I applied to except UCLA. That included Northwestern, Cornell and Penn. To be fair, I don't think I would have gotten into Cornell and Penn if they didn't want me to play football there...

What bothered me the most was that in chemistry, physics and biology classes I had in high school, I often had no idea what the teacher was talking about, but I would still do well on the tests because I could use common sense to figure out what the answer was if it was multiple choice, or if it was an essay test, I could just bullshit my way through it. This worked in college too...

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

That shouldn't bother you at all. That's what we do in life - use logic and bullshit to get through it. You just realized it sooner than most people do. :)

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

This may sound like a smartass answer, but it isn't really. I was and still am tremendously nearsighted, but it wasn't discovered until I was about nine. This led to me being kind of introverted as a small kid because I couldn't see what was going on, but I could read if I held a book, newspaper or magazine up to my nose. I'm damn near Medicare age and I'm still self-conscious around strangers, so it had a lasting impact.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I was strapped like a horse.thought there was something wrong with me and it left me
    withdrawn. Overtime I learned to live with my affliction.

Draft saved Draft deleted