1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What were you like as a kid?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mizzougrad96, Mar 10, 2014.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm curious what people on here were like as kids, besides the smartass answers of "younger" and "smaller"

For my 40th, my mom and sister contacted a lot of friends from my past and more than a few of the people who I haven't seen in 20+ years described me as "intense" and that kind of bothered me. It's definitely accurate, but it was a bit jarring to hear since I don't think I'm like that anymore.

I called one of my best friends, who I've known since I was 12 and he said, "Yeah, you were, but you started to mellow as soon as you got away from your parents." which made me laugh...

Anyway, curious how others on here would describe themselves growing up.

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I was crazy. Hyper, energetic, competitive. When I got into college, I had to chill out a bit.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I wandered a lot as a 5- and 6-year-old and would end up a mile or two away, to the chagrin of my parents who had to pick me up. I was hopped up on sugar, and hyper. I had a couple of serious head injuries. I was a mama's boy but only because my dad was too busy to be a dad and that didn't help my development one iota. I was sports-crazy, and athletic. I had a hard-on for girls at an early age. I loved to read until I became addicted to TV.

4. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

I was an annoying little sh!t. I got good grades and stayed mostly out of trouble, but I was annoying. A big whiner, world-isn't-fair type. And I sucked at sports, because I was the smallest kid in my class until HS, when I finally started growing.

My parents used to say all the time, "I hope you have a kid just like you one day." Now that I'm older and realize how I was, I can only hope to the powers above that if I'm ever cursed with kids (because I don't want them), that they're nothing like I was as a child.

5. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Bookish and nerdy.
    Blossomed like a swan, late.
    I wish I could go back and harvest some of the tail I could have gotten with dint of effort.

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Cute and smart. I have no idea WTF happened to me.

7. Mizzougrad96

School was too easy for me and that was a not a good thing. I was often bored.

I was always doing sports. Karate, basketball, football, baseball, wrestling, tennis... By the time I graduated high school I was only still doing football and karate. But from age 8-16, I don't think there was ever a time where I wasn't doing some sport even for a month. I think my mom freaked out my junior year of high school when I started to focus on football year-round and she was worried that it wouldn't be enough to keep me occupied.

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I'm in the yellow soccer shirt (Leeds United). Circa '79 or '80 when I was 8 or 9.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I was a giant fucking pain in the ass. Just like now.

The only difference is less hair on my head and more hair on my face.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Mizzou,I would label you as "intense" in your growing years of SJ but now as
    an aging poster you have definitely mellowed ;D.

11. Mizzougrad96

Yeah, the combination of getting married, having kids and getting out of journalism can mellow anyone... :D

12. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Incorrigible was the word several of my teachers used.

Draft saved Draft deleted