1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What we left out of our story and why

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by EStreetJoe, Jun 7, 2012.

1. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

http://urbandale.patch.com/articles/what-we-left-out-of-our-report-about-a-baby-who-died-and-why

I'll let you read the full story off the website, but it's an interesting approach the editors took. I'm on the fence as to whether or not I agree.

2. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I agree with the call not to publish it. It adds nothing. And this sums it up for me:

The downsides were just as obvious: The woman on the tape and the baby’s family, we knew, were obviously and understandably devastated by the tragedy, and posting the recording could only add to their misery.

3. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

I certainly think this sort of transparency and offering insight into the decision-making process is a good thing.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I don't see any reason to write this back-patting story.

5. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Because of what FnF said. I thought the note was well-handled.

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Seconded. Except for the titilation factor, I've never seen any purpose in running stories on the 911 calls. They make nice sound bites for our TV pals, but (and call me jaded if you wish), they all seem to sound the same after a while.

7. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

I like it, because it compliments the 911 dispatcher.

But I am unsure the reader notices or cares.

8. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Agreed.

I work in TV. I don't like 911 calls in general, and I make decisions like this all the time. When I decide not to air the 911 call, I don't replace it with a story telling the viewers how special I am for not running the 911 call.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

911 calls are used, like other public records, because often they are the only thing news organizations can get their hands on if nobody is talking. Whether they add anything to the story or not is secondary in a lot of cases. But it shows that the paper is pursuing the story.

10. beanpole

beanpole Member

This. It's lazy, cheap reporting.

As a journalist, you've gotta listen to the 911 call because you're gathering information. But I don't see the value to publishing details unless the person making the call says something incriminating (of him/herself or someone else), or if the dispatcher totally botches the call -- for instance, there was a dispatcher in Maryland a few months ago that fell asleep during a 911 call. That's news.

Publishing someone's most horrific day just for ratings or page views is pretty sick.

11. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I'm glad an editor works so hard clapping the site on the back. Did he take a few days off to go to physical therapy to deal with the resulting muscle pull?

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I would respond to this, but I am busy writing a story about why we didn't run a photo of a city councilman who looked like he might be grimacing and instead chose one of him smiling.

Draft saved Draft deleted