1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What was on your front page for July 10, 2012?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by spikechiquet, Jul 10, 2012.

1. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

One of our sports interns had the A1 feature today and actually did a pretty good job. Story about a local kid who plays a lot of sports, but has had both legs amputated at the knee. Actually had to learn how to walk three times due to prosthetic changes. The best part is that his name is Anakin. That is awesome.

But nothing breaking really going on with A1. I was able to find a recruiting story for sports with a new commitment, but other than that, slowwwwww.

2. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

We went with a series of championship games from district Little League.

3. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

Since Iowa plays its prep baseball and softball in the summer, we had tournament games in softball, with two area teams playing to go to state. (Both lost, so we had the obligatory crying player shot).

Those games, plus the ASG preview, plus a feature from an area college basketball summer league, gave me plenty of stuff for Page 1.

Tonight, we had two more softball regional finals, plus the ASG, plus the Iowa basketball coach getting a new contract, plus prep baseball districts. We had a full paper.

Thursday's paper is going to be interesting, though. The minor-league baseball team is home, so there is that.

4. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Considering the Worldwide Leader has been showing results from the WNBA as well as the NBA Summer League this morning, I'd say we aren't the only ones.

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Isn't tomorrow or Friday's paper a slower sports day? Today was easy.

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Is there anyone who does that??

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Oh, plenty. I see it all the time, particularly at small papers, including ones where I worked. If someone wasn't working, say, Tuesday, they usually didn't offer any input.

I would try to map out ideas a week in advance, knowing where the busy and slow spots were. I nearly blew a fuse one time when someone ran an insignificant Monday night football game as centerpiece. They're response was "It was a slow day. I didn't have anything else.". My response was: "That's why you have to plan this stuff ahead of time, have a gameplan and then make changes as events dictate." But failing to plan is planning to fail.

8. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I really, really like this. I absolutely hate trying to find a jump page. Meets the t_b_f 2012 Best Practices standard.

And, if anyone knows what my opinion is worth, it's you.

Draft saved Draft deleted