1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What types of parents are the worst to deal with???

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by williemcgee51, Feb 18, 2009.

1. I do not know if this has been discussed before on here, but I need about a 90-second rant.

OK, I am in a state with a pretty historical state individual wrestling tournament. It is held in a rather large venue that does not sell out, but the crowds are rather large. Anyways, I am my shop's wrestling beat writer and my SE has not made me do any major coverage on the event, but with it being this weekend, I have a story in everyday so the kids get some notice. Well, I wrote a story about what it is like to win an individual title. I interview three former state champs and but some facts and figures in my story. I write that only one person from our area (which is crazy about wrestling; not as much as basketball, but pretty close) has won three state individual titles. I meant to say three straight, but forgot to put "straight" in the graph.

Well today, I get an e-mail from a mom who says her son won three (not in a row) titles and demands a correction for her son, who graduated 10 years ago. OK, I made a mistake by not putting her son, but my point was only one has won three straight. She questions my research ability, which really angered me. I also think demanding a correction is classless.

Here is my question -- which parents are the worst? My vote goes to wrestling. I mean, the paper either does not provide not enough coverage and when coverage is delivered, it is not good enough. These people drive me crazy. They think we should cover everything. I understand it is important, but in this area, basketball is king and there is nothing I can do about it. I really want to hear some thoughts on other parents (swimming, soccer and tennis). Enough with the rant. Have a good day and good luck to everyone.

2. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

The ones who use excessive punctuation!!!

3. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Swimming.

4. I Digress

I Digress Guest

The ones with kids.

5. In my experience, the fewer fans the sport had, the crazier the parents are.
    Thus swimming parents are the worst.

6. lono

lono Active Member

Beat me to it, ID.

But the worst parents I've ever had to deal with - by far - were marching band parents. They are all terrorists.

7. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

I find the ones with the most money, regardless of the sport, are the worst to deal with have have the worst sense of entitlement.

That, and those on the school board.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

The only parents I hated more than track parents were field parents.

Sorry, I could not resist.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Cheerleading.

"You wrote a story about the boys basketball team's winning game. You should write another story about how the cheerleaders inspired them. They work hard, too!"

10. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Any parent that wants us to do a feature on their son/daughter because the kid got "selected" to be a part of the DownUnder tournament.
    Of course it costs and arm and leg for them to go to Austrailia and they want us to do a "feature" (ie. call for action to give the kid money) on how the kid is fund-raising to go in June/July for a wrestling/track/football/basketball tournament.
    Bunch of bunk...
    I should hold an "All-Stars Tournament", say it's an international competition, just send me 5Gs and I'll throw a kid from Canada in the mix to make it official...I'd be a millionare

11. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

baseball/softball

12. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Yep.

Draft saved Draft deleted