1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What to wear...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by G-Spot, Nov 13, 2006.

1. G-Spot

G-Spot Member

...searched the archives, couldn't really find anything pertaining to this topic.

I've got a job interview coming up soon and I'm really not sure what to wear. Started the gig I'm working now in college and never really had a formal interview.

The job is in sports and is at a publication which I perceive to be fairly laid back. Is it possible to overdress?

I've got the wedding/funeral suit covered and it's a damn fine looking suit but I think it may be a bit too much.

Would a simple jacket/slacks combo cover it?

Any employers got tips out there for a prospective employee?

2. Babs

Babs Member

You can't overdress for a job interview.

3. Shifty Squid

Shifty Squid Member

Wedding/funeral suit probably isn't necessary.

This topic comes up from time to time, and I think the consensus seems to be that there is no hard-and-fast rule on what to wear. But it's hard to go wrong with a button-down, tie, slacks and some nice shoes. I don't think you want to look stiff, but you do want to look like you take the interview seriously. Toss a sport coat into that ensemble if you want, and you should be set.

Good luck, G-Spot.

4. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

If it's not the Wall Street Journal or something, what he said.

5. Flash

Flash Guest

A relatively casual skirt and blouse should do the trick.

6. Kaylee

Kaylee Member

Wear a suit.

Period.

I have worn a suit on every interview I've been on. Sometimes, I've been overdressed (the SE in Birkenstocks was a highlight). But I have also interviewed with very formally-dressed folks, and I could tell they appreciated my efforts to look as presentable as possible.

Does that solely get you a job? Of course not. But the way the market is today (visualize approx. 600 cattle smooshing together to go through a single narrow cow chute) anything to differentiate you is a bonus.

7. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I've worn a suit to every job interview. Only twice have there been any comments about it.

In my early 20s before I became more clothes-conscious I wore a JCPenney special and the SE at one of the nation's biggest papers made a snooty comment about it. It was, in fact, a cheap suit and looked like a cheap suit. In my late 20s I unwittingly went completely the other way. This was in 1988 and Neiman-Marcus was having a hell of a sale and I paid $350 for a very nice, conservative navy suit that the salesman assured me was an incredible deal. A woman I was seeing at the time called it "an IBM executive suit," and I'm still not sure if that was a compliment or not. I no longer have the suit because like an idiot I put a conspicuous hole in the jacket one day while smoking and drinking, so I threw it out. But for some reason I saved the nice wooden hanger that came with it, and now that I know more about clothes I could just about shoot myself every time I see that hanger in my closet. The hanger says "Oxxford Clothiers." Oxxford makes its suits largely by hand in Chicago, and today you'd pay about $3,000 for that suit. GWB wears Oxxford suits.

The current job interview suit was bought used at a consignment shop for $300 about 10 years ago and is probably the equal of the Oxxford. Someone had it custom made, but it fit like it was custom made for me. I showed up at a job interview and the SE said, "You are not allowed to dress better than me." But he hired me anyway.

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

The guy who made the snooty comment about your old "cheap" suit should be bitch slapped. Hard and repeatedly. For eternity. Lord that pisses me off.

9. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Actually, I think he's dead. If it makes you feel better.

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

It would make me feel better if YOU made him that way for that cheesy comment.
    Just kidding.

11. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

i second that

12. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Slacks and a sportcoat would be OK if I was interviewing.

Draft saved Draft deleted