1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What to do???

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pickle_Juice, Jun 14, 2008.

1. Pickle_Juice

Pickle_Juice Member

Hi!!!

So my paper has gone through around of buy outs and layoffs in the past year and I was one of the lucky ones to survive, but I am wondering now how lucky I really was. Rumors have it that there are more trim backs coming very soon!!! It is very depressing and makes me wonder if I will be able to retire as a newspaper woman down the road. Do you think there will be news papers in 25 years?? I don't think I do. That is just so very sad to me.

I am just ill that so many quality journalists are being sent packing, you have to wonder when the axe will fall on you also. I have heard that MacClatchy is going to announce major staffing news next week, probably Monday or tuesday at a several different papers. I hope it is not too terribly bad!!!

2. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Oh, brother.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Get rid of the extra exclamation marks and question marks -- they cost ink and newsprint.

We need to be lean and mean in these tough times!

4. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Yes, we must do more with less!

5. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

This is going to be fun!!

6. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

No, do more with nothing!

7. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

I work for McClatchy and I haven't heard this latest buzz ... perhaps my rag will be OK.

Oh, and by the way ... Yay, a Pickle_Juice thread!

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Or possibly even lame.

Return of a sock puppet. How thrilling.

9. Pickle_Juice

Pickle_Juice Member

I do not appreciate your attitude coffee man. No body likes being called a 'Sock puppet'. I do not even know what you mean by that!!!

Is anyone else depressed about the state of newspapering?? I do not want to see another coworker get laid off!!!

10. Jersey_Guy

Jersey_Guy Active Member

Bravo.

Perfectly timed, given how much we all need a laugh.

11. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Anyone know where I can get a good set of knives?

12. Pickle_Juice

Pickle_Juice Member

I guess you think you are really very funny but you're not!!!

And jersey guy, are you named that because you are from New Jersey or because you really like sports jerseys???

Sorry, I guess that I thought I was not the only one depressed about newspapering in this day in age.

Draft saved Draft deleted