1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What to do when you miss home

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smash Williams, Dec 27, 2008.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

When I was in college (4 hours drive away) or living away from home (5 hours drive), my parents and I used to always designate a time and day where we would call each other (usually on Sunday nights after the NFL games). This we started doing in my freshman year of college when we kept playing phone tag either because my parents were out, or I was (no cell phones in those days).

Now I live closer where I can see them more often, but every once in a while, I miss those phone calls.

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

What to do when you miss home? Either get back to the plate quickly or hope the umpire didn't notice.

3. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Drive, drive, drive.

That's what doomed me when I left my small town for Penn State to start college -- no cars for freshmen. If I could have gotten out in my car and had some autonomy, homesickness would not have decked me.

Just get in your car and explore. See what all's out there in your new venue.

4. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

yes, by all means, explore. Then go to a bar, get hammered, and pick up some old divorcee who will take you home and turn you inside out.

5. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I'm shot, and I approve that message.

6. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

I had kind of an odd cure for my homesickness: Mom told me to stay the fuck away.

First year of college, I was homesick and wanted to transfer to my hometown university. She said under no circumstances would I be allowed back in the house if I trasferred. It's not that she didn't want me there. It was that she knew our hometown was a dying city with no future, and that I needed to grow and find my own place in the world. So that was that. I stayed and have only been back to my hometown a dozen times since 1992, and once in the past 12.

However, at the start of every football season, I grow a bit nostalgic for that place. I take a moment to cherish those memories and embrace how they helped me get to where I am now. Those moments are always a part of you no matter how far you go.

7. Slash

Slash Member

I went from being an hour away from my family to 7 when I was 24. It was REAL tough. We talked on the phone often. With cell phones you can call someone cheaply every day. ITs also easy to keep in touch with email, facebook, etc. My parents semiretired and moved to be with us. I cant imagine being apart from them. Hang in there. It will get better.

I also worked a lot because I enjoyed it, and it took my mind off the lack of social life I had while I tried to meet people and transition.

8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Went to college 10 hours from home, got home at TG and Christmas, 2 of 4 spring breaks, and two other weekends over four years.

First job was 1500 miles away, now I live on the opposite coast from my parents and both brothers.

I sometimes wish I could see them more often. But it makes the time we spend together more memorable. You just deal with it.

Middle child of two middle children. You learn to adapt.

9. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

I get this after every Christmas. I enjoy my time home, then go into a serious funk until after New Years. Have gone through it for years. Can't offer any advice, 'cuz I haven't found the answer yet -- other than pick a project and stay busy with it until that feeling fades. That seems to be the only thing that helps, even a little.

10. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Call home as much as necessary. Don't worry about the bill. Just talk to those who matter the most as much as it takes.

11. lono

lono Active Member

By all means, call home.

12. Angola!

Angola! Guest

i live 1400 miles from the closest family member. i just talk on the phone a lot to not get homesick.

Draft saved Draft deleted