1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What To Do In Rochester, NY

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pete Incaviglia, May 15, 2008.

1. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Dinosaur BBQ. It's in the heart of downtown near the courthouse.
    [/quote]

I wouldn't have expected such a place in Western New York. For those who've been there, do they use natural gas or a slow wood/smoking process? The difference is night and day.

2. trifectarich

For those who would actually order the Garbage Plate, from this moment forward you've lost all culinary credibility. I hope these aren't the same folks who complain about Primanti Brothers putting fries and cole slaw on the sandwich.

3. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

One thing Rochester does have is THE finest beer store I've ever had the pleasure of visiting, Beers of the World. It's massive, with an unbeliveable selection from across the world arranged by country. It's a good thing I don't get to Rochester often or I would be more broke than I already am!

Other than that, it's a cultural desert.

4. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Is The Still still there? I know a guy who plays for the Amerks and he said it was a good spot. This was a few years back....

5. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

http://cias.rit.edu/

http://www.akwaabatours.org/

http://www.museumofplay.com/

http://www.susanbanthonyhouse.org/

6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

The tour of the Eastman House is excellent, if you're into historical stuff.

And as you mentioned, Frontier Field is also a nice place to watch a game.

And if you're that close, take a 2-hour side trip to either Niagara Falls, or Letchworth State Park.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

hell, you could drive from seattle to portland in roughly two hours and absolutely save a shitty stop in seattle.

two hours isn't saying much, dog.

8. patchs

patchs Active Member

If you're into music, visit the House of Guitars, amazing place.
    My kids love the Strong Museum of Play, one of the best children's museums in the nation, and the National Toy Hall of Fame is inside it too.
    Dinosaur is one of my fav places to eat, never been to Tahou's, hear it's in a shitty neighborhood, but I'm sure you'll be OK.
    It's worth a day trip to do the Cayuga Lake Wine Trail.
    There are a lot of things to do, just need to look around.

9. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

You could join a gang.

11. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Tahou's is on Main Street W. They no longer stay open after 8 p.m. because they are definitely in a shitty neighborhood, so if you venture down there, you'll miss the late-night cops-and-hookers vibe that gave the place its original "charm." Sorry. (By the way, here's the official Tahou's website, and the Wiki page for the infamous Plate.)

If you'd rather have a safer dining experience, Dinosaur Bar-B-Que is easy to find, just across the river from the D&C offices.

I assume you'll be near Frontier Field at some point, so I'll suggest dropping by High Falls for the laser/music/fireworks show. And if you're in the mood for a longer side trip, both Letchworth and the local wineries are worth visiting.

12. trifectarich

Dinosaur is a MUST for great barbeque. Went there tonight for the first time and it was terrific. I don't care if you're from the Carolinas or the Deep South or Texas or Kansas City, places were barbeque is a religion, this place can compete with anything. If you like this kind of cuisine, get here! You won't regret it.

Draft saved Draft deleted