1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What To Do In Milwaukee?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pete Incaviglia, Apr 22, 2008.

1. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Just stay away from Tichigan Lake. Gutter can vouch for that :D

2. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Since I've never been to Milwaukee, the only thing I can add is this:

Wayne Campbell: So, do you come to Milwaukee often?
    Alice Cooper: Well, I'm a regular visitor here, but Milwaukee has certainly had its share of visitors. The French missionaries and explorers began visiting here in the late 16th century.
    Pete: Hey, isn't "Milwaukee" an Indian name?
    Alice Cooper: Yes, Pete, it is. In fact , it's pronounced "mill-e-wah-que" which is Algonquin for "the good land."
    Wayne Campbell: I was not aware of that.

3. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

Drink lots of New Glarus, Tyreana and Lake Louie beers.

4. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

I thought of that too when I started planning this trip. And, as a note of nothing of significance, my great, great, great grandmother is of 100% Algonquin decent.

5. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

With a baby, the zoo is a must do. It's a great, great zoo, and only a few skips away from Miller Park.

If the weather is nice, hit the beach. None of you will want to go in the frickin' cold water, but the baby will probably enjoy the sand. And you'll enjoy the sandy diapers.

Don't know how the Milwaukee Public Museum is these days. The last time I went, I was 4, and it was still the Milwaukee City Museum. I'm old.

Also, you can take the family on a 19th century ship for a deck tour or a sail at Discovery World.
    http://www.discoveryworld.org/denisSullivan-sailsTours.php

The ship has a journalist connection -- the captain is the husband of a former Tampa AP correspondent. They're good people, and I'm not just saying that because they lent us the crib my baby daughter is just about done with.

Also, I'm not sure where you live, or if it's available, but make sure to buy all the Sprecher you can (Amber Ale and Hefe Weiss are two excellent choices) before you go home.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

They're on their way to Minnesota.

7. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Go to Gilles Frozen Custard around 11:30 a.m. and wait for Bud Selig to drop by for his lunch. I'm sure he loves to pose for pictures, give out autographs and listen to fans suggestions while he's having his hot dog and diet soda.

[​IMG]

8. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Mmmmmmm frozen custard.

I'd vote for drinking a lot and letting the wife and kid fend for themselves.

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Jesus, how old is that picture? I lived in Wauwatosa and went to same Gilles that Selig does, and it hasn't looked like that in my lifetime.

On the custard front, don't believe the North side and South side shitheads that think Kopp's and Leon's are better. Gilles is your custard place of choice.

11. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I still have a scar on my foot from stepping on a sharp/rusty something-or-other (probably beer bottle) in Tichigan Lake.

12. BadgerBeer

BadgerBeer Well-Known Member

Thats because that is a picture of another Gilles. That one is located in Fond du lac and is not owned by the same people. I will second the Zoo comments. At one point many years ago it was considered the best in the country. It is still a very nice Zoo today. Try a butter burger at Solly's Grill on Port Washington Road. Incredible stuff if you only eat a couple per year. Bob Uecker has his own stool at the counter. The Art Museum is very nice. Brady Street is a very cool area and if you are up for a short drive ( maybe 20-30 minutes from Miller Park) spend an afternoon in Cedarburg. A really nice small town that has stayed very historically accurate. Nice shops and some neat food choices.

Draft saved Draft deleted