1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What the.......

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by donronnie, Aug 11, 2006.

1. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

I've always been a huge fan of that line: "Politely tell him to fuck off."
    Solid.

2. Breakyoself

Breakyoself Member

how does one go about telling someone, politely, to fuck off?

3. joe king

joe king Active Member

Sir, fuck off, if you please. Thank you.

4. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

"Excuse me for asking, but could you fuck off please? It would be much appreciated."

5. Ledbetter

Ledbetter Active Member

When has that SID ever been happy or helpful? About the only way to cover that team is to go around the guy.

6. Grey

Grey Member

screw 'em! this might further distance u from the SID flunky but it will bring you closer to the players you interview for this. getting the quotes will be easy -- been down this road before and it actually was quite interesting to hear of the conotations of the tats and the guys loved talking about ithem -- but the art could be problematic. if SID flunky won't allow photogs to do close-up on the tats your shooter(s) can at least get biceps shots during practice or whatever while being crafty.

7. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Good idea. But I would use as the bargaining chip that he not sit in on your interviews anymore.

Geez - I'm starting to be thankful for the SIDs I work with.

8. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

This species is the rule and not the exception at most of the schools in the BCS conference I cover. If you want the interview, especially with one of the higher-profile players, the SID or one of his toadies is going to listen in. They rarely intervene, but they're there. If you don't like it, tough. No skin off their noses. And too many of the reporters covering these (mostly upper echelon) teams are willing to go along with it. Pisses me off.

9. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

I understand telling the SID your story idea. A big portion of SIDs are helpful in that regard and can lead you to some players of facts helping your story. And yeah, and some major schools...with high profile athletes...it's not unusual for an SID or an assistant to be around during the interview. If he intervenes a lot, that's a different stroy.
    If I were the SID here, I can see the potential that this could make the team look bad, but that's not my job really. He can't tell you want to write. He can make life harder for you (especially if the school draws decent coverage from competing papers, etc...).
    Still, I think I'd only have a problem if you were a crusty old man wanting to do a story on tattoes on the women's volleyball team.

Draft saved Draft deleted