1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What the hell kind of kids show is this?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by printdust, Dec 19, 2006.

1. printdust

printdust New Member

My 4-year-old has changed his viewing habits to include one of the stupidest shows of self-promotion I have ever seen.

Anyone with small kids seen PBS's "This Is Daniel Cook"? My question is, who the hell is Mr. Cook or Mrs. Cook in PBS's heirarchy, or who do they know? Seriously, if ANY of us took our kid and did a couple of home-produced shows along this same line, we wouldn't get past the receptionist's desk, would we?

I watch this show and I am reminded of the shameless self-promotion of many of the callers to a sports desk daily.

2. patchs

patchs Active Member

What the hell kind of thread is this?
    BTW, Daniel Cook is on DISNEY, not PBS.
    Little red-haired kid, right?
    I don't think his dad puts together the short between shows spots.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Yeah, it is on the Disney Channel. And it is irritating crap. And to stand out as irritating crap on that network (which my 3-year-old loves) really takes some doing.

4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Stick to PBS Kids. No shameless advertising and non-stop feeding of the consumerism gene in little ones. Nice educational shows that get kids to think about science and quality human relationships, Cyberchase (about kids and high technology/computers); Dragon Tales; Magic School Bus (great series about kids and exploring science and nature), etc.

Or the Discovery Channel and Animal Planet (home to Crocodile Hunter and Steve Corwin.)

5. printdust

printdust New Member

Go figure. I just checked and sure as hell, PBS and Disney have been swapped on our dial by our newest leveraged buyout cable company.

6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I believe Daniel Cook is a show made in Toronto. He's been at the Toronto Zoo and played ball with Frank Catalanotto when he was with the Jays. He was six or so when a lot of those shows were made and I think he's eight now. I guess he's too old for that stuff he used to do because my son is now watching an almost identical show (right down to the theme song) starring a little girl named Emily Yeung.

7. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

The best kids shows are on Spanish-language TV. They never miss an excuse to put a gal in a bikini, kid shows or not.

8. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/This_is_Daniel_Cook

"The show was filmed in Toronto, Ontario. Every US episode is about 6 minutes long, while a half-hour version exists in Canada.

There is a little girl version, This is Emily Yeung, that complements Daniel Cook, and it premiered on Treehouse this fall."

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Assuming you don't count the Chuck E Cheese/Kellogs/Publix/McDonald's funding spots.

10. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Well they mention the name "...this spot supported by your local McDonalds..." But at least its not the full bore ad imploring the kids to go buy the Big Mac because you get the free Josie and the Pussycats doll.

11. Rufino

Rufino Active Member

I was hoping someone's little tyke hadn't stumbled onto "Wonder Showzen" by accident.

12. Diego Marquez

Diego Marquez Member

Sorry I'm late to the loop, but Daniel Cook? The funky kid with the stupid intro song?

This is Daniel Coo-ook
    Smoking pot, scoring crack
    On a bender for a week

He's so f-ing high now
    Spicoli'd have a cow...
    It's Daniel Cook (ba, ba, ba, na).

Draft saved Draft deleted