1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What the hell is wrong with people: Breakfast cereal division

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Jun 5, 2013.

1. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I'm still waiting for the Honey Nut Cheerios ad featuring Lala Vazquez.

2. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

[​IMG]

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

And yet it was the basis of the argument against interracial marriage for so long.

It's almost like people had a poor understanding of the Bible and their religion and mistakenly used it to justify their own biases. I am so glad we are past that.

4. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Christians, and me included (but not in this case), do not do a good job of doing their homework.

5. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Ah, Christians.

Jesus (if you believe in that sort of thing) left a pretty clear set of instructions and list of things that are important and things that aren't. Simple to grasp. Much, much, much harder to follow.

Which probably explains the quote (I can't recall who supposedly said it) when asked what he thought of Christians: "I don't know. I've never met one."

6. Here me roar

Here me roar Guest

They should've mixed Cheerios and Chocolate Cheerios in the bowl.

We all know that would taste better.

7. Nathan_C_Deen

Nathan_C_Deen New Member

The Bible commands Christians to refrain from marrying non-Christians. There are no restrictions when it comes to race. In fact, I think the Bible would be one of the biggest promoters of interracial marriage. I know several Christian couples who are interracial. I think it's a great thing. It shows we are not divided by skin color but are united through the body of Christ. I would be open to marrying someone of a different race if that was God's will for me.

8. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Haters gonna hate.

And vote Red, of course.

What a coincidence. PATRIOTS!

9. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

As a therapist told my son, "90% of a [negative/bullying] comment is a reflection of the person speaking". That's all this is; people insecure about themselves.

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Oh, I agree lots of people use religion to justify their own biases. Nowhere in the Bible does it mention an inalienable right to own guns, or what the tax code should be like, or that welfare is evil, etc. But people somehow feel a need to justify their beliefs rather than take ownership of them.

Why can't people just come out and say "I oppose interracial marriage because I don't like (whatever)".

11. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

So was I. Then I grew up.

12. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I'm not sure it's the country going backward as much as it is a certain, very loud, somewhat powerful number of people who are doing their damndest to make sure it doesn't go forward. It's not like 20 or 30 years ago, everybody would have just been fine and dandy with an interracial couple in a commercial. And it's not as if you needed the Internet to find the reaction, though it helps quicken it. There were all sorts of hubbub in 1968 when Petula Clark embraced the arm of Harry Belafonte. http://www.pophistorydig.com/?tag=harry-belafonte-petula-clark

[​IMG]

We're well into a straight white people (especially male) freakout that's happening because they know their numbers are dwindling, and they're scared shitless. There's all these black and brown and Muslim people around -- and one of them is in the White House!

Draft saved Draft deleted