1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What the heck, another HOF thread: Jason Witten?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Baron Scicluna, Oct 17, 2010.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I wasn't thinking of him as a HOFamer until I saw a Cowboys game that had Witten listed as fourth all-time among tight ends in NFL history in career receptions. Stunned me because while I've known he was a very good player, I've never thought he was getting among the all-time leaders:

Tony Gonzalez 1,023 receptions and counting
    Shannon Sharpe 815
    Ozzie Newsome 662
    Jason Witten 543 and counting.

Plus he's a six-time consecutive Pro Bowl selection and is tied with Kellen Winslow for the NFL record for most receptions by a tight end in a game with 15.

Part of me thinks he may be the victim of today's inflated reception stats (one more catch, and he passes J.T Smith for 85th on the all-time reception list by everyone. J.T. Smith). But part of me also thinks tight end is a unique position, and he would be a standout in any era.

Thoughts?

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Those stats are surprising. I think that says a lot about Witten. Hall of Famers don't sneak up on you.

3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

You'll get no argument from this Vol fanboi -- his daddy used to work for my dad.

4. Ilmago

Ilmago Guest

It's hard to argue against his numbers but when talking tight ends you hit on a key point. Numbers are inflated in general but especially for TEs. There was a time they were practically extra lineman but now they've evolved to the point that some are basically super sized receivers.

When I heard this stat I was surprised he had more than Gates.

5. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

He needs another good 5-6 years. He's also a very good blocker, certainly better than the other three on that list, but stats are a TEs ticket to the HOF.

6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Jay Wit Dawg? No way.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Witten will never sniff the HOF. He's not a Steeler. :D

8. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

No way does he qualify for the football Hall of Fame.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

He needs several more seasons like he had in, I think, 2007 and 2008. He barely sniffed the end zone last year and playing with receivers like Austin, Williams and Bryant isn't going to help him either. He was Romo's go-to guy for a couple years, but I would argue he's not that guy anymore.

Sharpe is going to be the new benchmark for tight ends. If Witten winds up with number similar to Sharpe's he has a chance.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Where are Dallas Clark and Antonio Gates on this list?

That would be four TEs from this generation who could get in. That might be one too many. But if Witten gets 750 catches, he is in.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think touchdowns will mean more than receptions, even though I pretty much agree with your assessment.

12. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

He's 85 all time in receptions. Needs to be higher than that. And he should be. I'm sure he has some good years ahead of him still.

Draft saved Draft deleted