1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What sports books are you reading this summer?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by mrbio, Jul 21, 2011.

1. jfs1000

jfs1000 Member

Not a big fan of sports books. Do accountants read accounting for fun? Much rather engross myself with a novel. I want to escape from reality when I am reading. BTW, I can't read another word on the 1960s and baseball.

2. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

I probably couldn't have put it as pithily as that, but yes, Maraniss is amazing. The Rome 1960 book was great. "They Marched Into Sunlight" is a great book about the Vietnam War and its veterans.

3. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

No sports novels, I suppose.

4. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

There's a book I remember reading as a teen-ager, written by a Phillies minor leaguer named Jerry Kettle. It was like "Ball Four," but it was about life in the minors. I wish I could find that; I'm sure it's out of print.

5. EmbassyRow

EmbassyRow Active Member

About 2/3 of the way through "A Terrible Splendor: Three Extraordinary Men, a World Poised for War, and the Greatest Tennis Match Ever Played" by Marshall Jon Fisher. A fascinating read about the 1937 U.S.-Germany/Budge-von Cramm Davis Cup match, regarded as one of the sport's best matches.

6. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

Correcting one dereliction by reading Ed Hotaling's "They're Off" right now. Must correct (as a Pirates fan) another by reading "Clemente" before the end of the season.

7. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Rarely read sports books, but last I did was "Basketball Junkie", Chris Herren's autobiography, which Bill Reynolds turned into literature.
    I could care less about addiction stories, and yet Reynolds' writing makes it all leap off the page. Great stuff.

8. mrbio

mrbio Member

My colleague Dan M. over at tennis-prose.com is currently reading this very same book and said it's the best tennis book he's ever read. An author himself, he is not an easy to please reader by any stretch.

9. Brad Guire

Brad Guire Member

Does Hulk Hogan's second biography count? The WWE-sanctioned version should definitely not, but his latest one has all the juicy stuff, like coke binges and steroids. It counts, right?

I'll also get 56: Joe DiMaggio for the Kindle.

10. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Did you read Bret Hart's book?

11. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

That thing barely counts as a book - it's more of an exhaustive manifesto about how screwed up everyone else in his family was. An interesting read, definitely, but like the latest ESPN book, you wish about half the book (300ish pages) had either been taken out or about something else. Jericho and Foley are still the best wrestling biographies to me, although that description of Hogan's sure does make me want to check it out.

12. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

If The Man Who Wouldn't Leave is who I think he is, management attempted to have him removed, was threatened with legal action and decided it just wasn't worth it.

Draft saved Draft deleted