1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What sports books are you reading this summer?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by mrbio, Jul 21, 2011.

1. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

Exactly why I snuck in there in June before it got nuts.

2. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

I finished the ESPN book a couple weeks ago. It was pretty good, but would have worked better at 350 pages and cutting out a lot of the filler.

I just started Scorecasting, and have Leavy's Mantle book, the Hillenbrand book and When March Went Mad sitting in my bullpen.

3. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

In your long pants?

4. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Another good place to snag books (and I apologize those not in this area) is the book shop at the Saratoga Library. They have a separate horse section, of course.

5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I'm about to buy "The Book of Basketball" on Kindle. I liked the sample. Any thoughts?

6. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

I hope Doug Glanville writes better than he does analysis on Baseball Tonight and the like. He's been really disappointing.

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Yeah, he got a lot of mileage of being "a smart guy who happened to be a baseball player" during his playing career, but he might just be smart for a baseball player.

8. nck228

nck228 Member

Just picked up Bruce Weber's "As They See 'Em" at the recommendation of a friend.

9. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

No shorts allowed in the Joe Hirsch Pressbox. Other forms of deviant, corrupt behavior, of course, are de rigueur.

10. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

It's two books away for me as I make my way through my Christmas gifts.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

It's too bad the bulk of the non-horse press won't fully appreciate just how funny that is.

. . . while not overlooking the seemingly-endless residence of The Man Who Wouldn't Leave, whose noxious presence continues to be condoned by management, for some incomprehensible reason . . .

12. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

I've had Howard Bryant's Hank bio sitting there all summer. Books to write, my 90-year-old father's broken hip and the decline and death of my mother-in-law have prevented me from getting around to it.

YHS, etc

Draft saved Draft deleted