1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What sporting events have you thought were fixed?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Jun 12, 2008.

1. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Because the offseason hype the league could generate from having the Steelers as champion was far bigger and worth far more in terms of marketing dollars than if the Seahawks, a team with a tiny fan base, no national following from a part of the country so far from civilization that nobody really cares about them?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

wfw, zag.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

How about a double fix in the Colts/Steelers game?

The NFL and the refs were doing everything possible to get Manning to a Super Bowl, but Vandershank fucked that up with a fix of his own.

No fucking way does a professional miss a kick that bad, with a good snap, indoors, that badly.

No way.

And I have a huge dog in that fight, and it is not blue and white.

As for SB XL, the refs made them drop all those passes, not tackle Parker on a long TD run, let Ward catch a third-an-forever and bite on the fucking WR pass that killed Cincy just a few week before?

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Oh, Tyson/Douglas.

King wanted a longer fight in Japan or China or wherever it was, and it backford on Tyson.

5. Angola!

Angola! Guest

nope, the refs didn't make the seahawks do any of that. the seahawks were the better team and nearly won despite the refs cheating for pittsburgh.

6. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Do you really think McNeeley could have beaten him if it were on the level?

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Once again, I magnanimously offer to send you and LJB a Terrible Towel to cry in.

And I hope you realize that Zag doesn't mean a word of what he typed above. I understand your frustration. I really do. But the simple truth is the officials just did a shitty job all the way around and the Seahawks wasted an opportunity by playing like shit.

8. Angola!

Angola! Guest

i know zag was being sarcastic, but the point stands.

9. outofplace

You really think that is good enough reason for the NFL to risk the shitstorm that would result if it came out that a Super Bowl was fixed? Seriously?

That, as much as my fanboy love for the Steelers, is why I dismiss the accusation so easily. The motive just isn't nearly enough for that level of risk.

10. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

How do you know what I meant? How do you know I was being sarcastic?

A lot of terrible towels were sold -- Big Ben got on the ESPY's show -- the Steelers nation grew even more -- all of it put millions, check that, billions in the pockets of the NFL!!!!

Do you think Hasselbeck would have gotten on the ESPY's show?

Hmmm?

11. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I done my crying over that game.

But if you don't think the league makes a shitpile of money off a championship Steelers team, you're all nuts.

12. outofplace

I know how you operate, Zag. I'm taking an educated guess.

Anybody who seriously makes that argument is severely overestimating the value to the league of a Super Bowl championship for the Steelers.

Hell, I guess this year's Super Bowl must have been fixed, too, right? The league obviously hates the Patriots and how could it pass up the opportunity to bring a Super Bowl championship to its biggest market?

Now quit teasing the poor Seahawks fans. They have suffered enough.

Draft saved Draft deleted