1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Sort Of Perverse Justice Is This?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Flying Headbutt, Aug 14, 2006.

1. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

The federal government's view on border security.

And that comes despite the fact the guy who was shot was a drug kingpin with 800 pounds of marijuana in his van!!!!! The bad guy gets full immunity and healthcare, and testifies against the guys who tried to stop him from crossing the border illegally with all the drugs.

Most embarassing in my mind is that it was another border guard and the Department of Homeland InSecurity that pushed for this. Simply outrageous. Runner up for most embarassing is the $5 million civil suit the criminal is now filing against the government because of this.

http://www.dailybulletin.com/news/ci_4141562

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

What a country we live in.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If you are a border patrol agent and a guy is fleeing back into Mexico, seems you have done your job. Shooting them in the back on the way out seems a bit like overkill.

4. Flying Headbutt

It was my understanding that the guy was fleeing into the US, and not trying to get back into Mexico. I guess it's a bit vague.

5. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

First graf, emphasis added
    Still, if they know he was a drug dealer, I can see a good reason for the pursuit, though not the shooting.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

This is from the agent. I assumed the guy was running back to Mexico. Maybe he was running every which way.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I don't think they knew that. Probably suspected it.

8. Flying Headbutt

I'm a bit discombobulated here.

As for the shooting, the officer saw something shiney in the smuggler's hand, or so he says. Most law enforcement personnel aren't told to just wait and see if it's really a gun first, are they?

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I don't think they are trained to indiscriminately fire at people who may or may not be holding something shiny in their hands.

10. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

True, as a suspected drug dealer crossing the border in the dead of night and then fleeing from police, he might have been rubbing his Rosary beads.

11. busuncle

busuncle Member

FH, I can't believe you're defending an agent who shot an unarmed man in the back while violating major Border Patrol policy.

I hope he serves a long prison term.

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Good, Idaho.

I've long held that suspicion of drug dealing and illegal crossing the border should be punishable by death.

Draft saved Draft deleted