1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What social media sites do you use?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Versatile, Jun 22, 2013.

?

What social media sites do you use?

1. Facebook

53 vote(s)
    93.0%
  2. Twitter

44 vote(s)
    77.2%
  3. Pinterest

9 vote(s)
    15.8%
  4. Tumblr

7 vote(s)
    12.3%
  5. Vine

7 vote(s)
    12.3%
  6. Instagram

15 vote(s)
    26.3%
  7. LinkedIn

32 vote(s)
    56.1%
  8. Google+

13 vote(s)
    22.8%
  9. StumbledUpon

3 vote(s)
    5.3%
  10. Other

3 vote(s)
    5.3%
  1. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Sheep got me thinking. Pick as many as you use.

I left off dating sites because they seem to be a completely different beast and message boards because we all use message boards.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I have accounts with a lot of them, but I only use a couple of them at least 3-4 times a week.

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Yeah, I have accounts with Google+, Pinterest and StumbledUpon that I have never used once.

I use Twitter most often. My own tweeting is almost entirely job-specific, but I follow plenty of people unconnected to my work.

I never used Facebook much, but now I browse and occasionally post a snarky reply to a friend's post. I check Facebook every time I'm on a computer, in that it's one of the tabs that opens automatically with my browser, but I spend probably no more than two minutes a day looking at it.

I keep my LinkedIn account up to date and accept connections and sometimes browse and add connections, but I don't have my profile anywhere near as complete as many.

I love Tumblr and think it's by far the most underrated of these sites. I follow about 400 Tumblogs and can find myself spending a lot of time on the site, looking at GIFs and captioned photos and finding links to good stories. I almost never actually visit another Tumblr account and don't do a whole lot of reblogging. I use it as a stream of information I'm interested in. It's like a more visual Twitter.

I see Instagram and Vine posts on Twitter and Tumblr but don't have either app downloaded on my rudimentary smart phone and wouldn't really have much interest in using them anyway.

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I don't think of StumbleUpon as a social media thing. It's just a way to find new sites. There's no feed of people sharing links, or ways to talk to people.

5. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

I have my personal Facebook and Twitter accounts. I run the Twitter accounts for my workplace and my church, and also handle Facebook for my job. I contribute to Instagram for a publication for which I freelance.

6. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Twitter is the only one I really use with any frequency. I get news, post reasonably often and interact with people on Twitter. I check Facebook probably once a day to see if any family or friends put anything important or interesting on there, but I don't post or like things all that often. I feel like I look at Facebook, but I don't use it.

I use Google+ to post photos of my daughter because it is really easy to do from my phone and the only people I have in circles are family and they are the ones that one to see the pictures. I have a LinkedIn account and use it occasionally to find contact info for people.

7. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Facebook, Twitter, Vine, Instagram, Linked In and Google+. You should add http://www.twitter.com/mattstephens to your favorites bar while we're at it. ;-)

But really, Google+ is a MUST for all reporters if they care about Google News results. I never really use it as a social networking site, but setup my Google Authorship through it.

In a Google News search, which is more likely to catch a reader's eye, the screen shot below or one with no photo next to it? Google Authorship shows authority, even if there are 20 results for similar stories, yours will stand out.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Facebook, SportsJournalists.com

9. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

One person doesn't use Facebook who voted in the poll. I'm fascinated.

10. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I oversee accounts with FB, Twitter, Google+, Instagram and Vine for my organization, and I personal accounts on FB, Twitter, LinkedInand Google+. I thought Vine was the correct answer to this week's Sheep question but I figured the sheep would answer Instagram.

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Facebook for personal stuff, Twitter for work.

Signed up for a Google-plus account but never use it. Same thing with LinkedIn.

Edging toward signing up for Instagram and Vine for work purposes.

12. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I have accounts for them all. Use Tumblr about once a month, Google+ and Stumbleupon rarely if ever.

Draft saved Draft deleted