1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Should I Be Doing With My Toddler, Seriously

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 93Devil, Apr 1, 2009.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I would like to keep this wonderful topic alive. Since Lil 93 ain't so little anymore, I thought a second thread could be started.

This is a wonderful time. She is just turning 14 months, and what she can do is amazing.

She flips through books on her own. In fact, she will correct the book if it is handed to her upside down. She will just flip and flip from one book to the next.

She is cruising but not quite walking yet. She stood on her own for the first time yesterday, but she had a bad case of ear infection for her first year and needed tubes. The doc said those infections could slightly slow down her walking and speech.

She is saying da-da and deek-a-doo (for peek-a-boo) along with some other "close" words. She attended her first birthday party with another child from day care. It was amazing seeing them together because Lil 93 was better at certain skills and Amelia was better at others.

The sleeping has regressed some because she will cry in the night 1-2 times when her blanket is moved off of her. So a quick recover is needed. This is a little bit of a pain but not a big deal.

She is eating everything we throw at her. In fact, she does not like plain foods. She pretty much can handle anything I cook.

We are throwing her a birthday party next weekend since Daddy was out with an ankle in February.

So other dads and moms, how is it going out there?

I am so geeked for the pool this summer!!!

2. Sounds like you've got it under control.
    I advise long walks in the morning. Pick a route, pop the young'un in the stroller, and follow it. I did that with our second two and I found myself looking forward to it.

3. 93Devil

We have a membership here http://www.lewisginter.org that daddy pretty much uses any time he has baby duty.

God, I cannot wait for warm weather.

4. Very nice.

5. 93Devil

It is amazing. One of the hidden gems of Richmond.

http://www.lewisginter.org/children/about-childrensgarden.php

6. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Wee) is 22 months -- walking just days before her first birthday, sprouting what is close to a four-digit vocabulary and sassing us every moment she can.

We go through sleep issues sometimes, because of new teeth. Every day is an adventure.

RB

7. 93Devil

Walking is one of the things Lil 93 is a little behind on right now.

But she will eat with a spoon.

Oh, I think we have taken over 2,000 pictures of this little girl. Right now we are on JPG 2,200.

8. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

You're in a great time now 93. My daughter (4 in August) was a bit of a late walker (17 months due to some neck/balance issues) but they realy turn into little people during this time.

We're still in hell with my now 9 month old. He's had yet another cough the past two days and couldn't keep any formula/food down as a result of the mucus. After the third major throw up, we made a trip to the urgent care office at 10 last night. The doctor said nothing really wrong, but he has a double ear infection. Now we feel like bad parents for not spotting it earlier, but my daughter never had one.

He ended up not sleeping for more than 45 minutes in a row. On the positive side, he's at 26 pounds and has graduated to 2T clothing.

9. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Enjoy every minute you can. My boys are now 7 and 9 and while they are still cute and huggable, its different. I see toddlers around town and miss it some; the holding and carrying mostly. Its a bit of a pain then, but now whenever I pick up my boys they think its a joke and say immediately "let me down dad."

Savor the smiles she gives you when you come back from where ever you were; those are priceless.

Try to watch her when she's not aware that you are, I love doing that, watching the boys walk to school or play something when they do not see me.

I could skip the diaper thing though.

10. I Digress

I Digress Guest

Be prepared for her to lose the words she has right now.. might not, but might.. Mine was saying a handful or more of words right around a year and lost them for a while... the next time she talked coherently she went right from short phrases to paragraphs.... She's 6. She talks all the time.
    Read, read, read.....talk to her like she's older than 2. We never baby talked ours and her vocabulary is impressive.

11. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Ms Ic is 15 months and I have been absolutely loving watching her turn from a little baby into a little toddler.

My wife took her to some sign language classes a few months back and we do some signs around the house. She uses a few of them sporadically but today put them together and we can't stop laughing.

We have a Chocolate Lab/Land Shark/Remorseless Eating machine that has benefited greatly from the baby dropping food. This has evolved into her throwing food on the floor for him, as well as holding food out to tease him and then eating it while giggling like a maniac.

Today she threw some food on the floor and made the signs for "puppy, eat"

It was one of those times that I wish I was somewhat diligent with the video camera.

12. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

I would second this and then some. My youngest (of three) turned 18 last week, and it seemed like just yesterday she was coming home for the first time.

In all seriousness, the one piece of advice I'd give 93 is to watch that child like a hawk. You'd be amazed at how quickly they can get into trouble and how easily they can defeat any and all so-called "childproof" measures.

Draft saved Draft deleted