1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What should happen to Duke's Gerald Henderson?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by gregcrews, Mar 5, 2007.

1. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I think he's worth a first rounder. Oldham too.

2. Breakyoself

Breakyoself Member

look at how he went up. His elbowed was braced the whole time as if to strike someone. if you go to block a shot, your arm is usually straight, unless you plan to block it with your elbow. I could understand it more if his arm was in a blocking motion and his elbow hit hansbrough on the way down, but that is not how it happened. he went in with his bow ready to hit..maybe not in the nose, but it was going to be a hard foul. he got what he deserved.

3. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

That's a pretty big difference. There's lots of stuff you can do a 100 times, do it without harm and get by with. When you f- it up that 101st time, you pay. I don't think that's hypocritical. Dude tried to deliver a hard foul and messed up a guy's beak. Sit a game. Done.

4. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Not sure how they do it in hockey, but in college basketball players don't usually try to block shots with their elbows. See, by reaching up with their hands, they can get higher -- up where the ball might be, instead of the opposing player's nose.

5. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Well, if N.C. State has its way, he will be.

6. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

They should stand him up like Michael Corleone in the first Godfather and have Tyler Hansbrough take a smack at him.

7. Pete

Pete Well-Known Member

In the replay, though, one can see that as Hansbrough went up for the shot, the ball was stripped from his hands by another Duke player. Thus as Henderson sailed in for the attempted swat, he brought his upraised arm down in a futile swipe in the direction of the ball, which was then at roughly the height of Hansbrough's shoulder -- and quite near his noggin.

That swing, obviously, did not end well. But from checking the replay several times it doesn't appear to me anyway that Henderson steamed into the play with the intention of dropping an atomic elbow. Rather it was a somewhat wild and out-of-control attempt at a physical shot-block that went wrong. I don't have a big problem with the one-game suspension considering the carnage that resulted, but I don't think there was any intent to lay the hammer.

8. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Either way, right or wrong, I think this brief transcript of the ACC teleconference shows that Gregg Doyel and Coach K deserve one another:

http://www.850thebuzz.com/blog/?p=2517

9. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

I guess the high Duke standards didn't happen until after 1992, huh?

Is Krzyzewski doing his best Mark McGwire impression by not being there to "talk about the past."
    <a href="http://850thebuzz.com/podcasts/doyelvsk.mp3">
    Here's the audio link containing the exchange.</a>

Draft saved Draft deleted