1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What podcasts do you listen to?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mizzougrad96, Apr 14, 2010.

1. Radio Lab
    WTF
    This American Life
    NPR's Snap Judgement
    Freakonomics
    Lexicon Valley
    The Moth
    BBC World Update
    Lexicon Valley
    Grammar Girl

2. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

What's a podcast?

3. John

John Well-Known Member

Pod F. Tomkast
    Ronna & Beverly
    StarTalk
    Radiolab
    Nerdist
    WFT with Marc Maron
    Comedy Bang Bang
    Doug Loves Movies
    This American Wife
    Improv4humans
    Todd Glass Show
    Sklarboro Country
    The Bugle
    Girl on Guy with Aisha Tyler
    How Did This Get Made

4. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Nerdist, first and foremost. Usually funny as hell, and wide range of guests and topics. Plus, you get occasional cameo appearances by none other than Wesley Crusher.

Mohr Stories (Jay Mohr), depending on the guest... I don't want to listen to an hour of Jay talking to some hack comedian I've never heard of. But, he's had a strong cast of b-teamers that just get hilariously raunchy.

Wait, Wait,Don't Tell Me

... And now, thanks to Batman, I'm looking for that Doctor Who podcast.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I love Nerdist. He gets amazing guests and I agree the stories about him and Wheaton as roommates are pretty hilarious and that's from someone who has never seen an episode of any of the Star Trek TV shows.

I remember on one of the live shows someone asked him to tell them something about Wheaton and he said, "If you ever run into him, sing the song 'Stand By Me' he doesn't hate that at all..." That made me laugh a lot...

I need to check out Mohr's podcast.

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Adam Carolla
    ESPN Fantasy Focus (baseball and football)
    ESPN Baseball Today
    Tony Kornheiser
    ESPN First Draft
    ESPNU College Football (Ivan Maisel and Beano Cook)
    Rich Eisen Podcast (NFL Network)

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Also Bill Simmons, though I skip it if it's about the NBA. I listen to Alan Sepinwall and Dan Fienberg's "Firewall and Iceberg" if a TV show I like is in-season.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I pimped them on the first page of the thread, two years ago, but "Now Playing" is still a great listen. In fact, since I mentioned them back then they've honed their act a little and gotten even better.

A three-man panel reviews each film in a franchise, one at a time (as in one show per week; the shows are ridiculously in-depth and often last around 90 minutes), usually leading up to the latest installment of the series. The guys pick the movies apart, but not so much that it becomes super film school geek-talk.
    They just finished a year-long Marvel movie retrospective that covered almost 50 films, including obscure stuff like Hulk TV movies, the Generation X and Nick Fury TV movies from the mid-90s, the 1994 Fantastic Four movie and dozens of others.
    Now, they're on to Batman ("Batman & Robin" was released today). Spider-Man is next, then James Bond.

The way they dive into each movie is great. You really get to see how these characters and franchises developed. It also makes it accessible, so if you have seen the movie they're reviewing it helps a lot, but if you haven't it's not a huge obstacle. And some of those Marvel movies they reviewed were so obscure, you REALLY have to make the effort to find and watch them.
    It's great stuff. If you're into movies, especially the horror/sci-fi/comic book genre since that's the bulk of their reviews, I highly recommend it.

9. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Best, IMHO, was when Chris had gotten wisdom teeth out. Wheaton didn't know it, came home drunk after a night of partying with pals. Grabbed Hardwick by both sides of his face and exclaimed (in that way only the drunk can) "I love this guy!" Hardwick says his eyes almost shot out of his skull. The remorse was quick and deep.

10. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I tried listening to Carolla again when Kornheiser was on vacation, but he's just too annoying. The same rant over and over again.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I find Carolla's rants calming... It's refreshing to listen to someone who actually cares about things, however crazy they may seem...

It's why I stopped listening to Stern. He lost his edge a long time ago. I listened to the show for awhile, largely because of Artie, but after he left, the show went downhill really quickly...

In college, I used to listen to Loveline all the time and Carolla would just crack me up. I remember when he started singing the theme to Taboo II, I just about pissed myself from laughing so hard.

12. The only one I listen to now is "Up and In," a podcast put on by Baseball Prospectus.

Draft saved Draft deleted