1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What players active in 2010 are already worthy of your personal HOF?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Ilmago, Oct 17, 2010.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I put Lincecum in the "on the way" category because those are the guys that we'll be making the case for in 10 years or so. A lot can obviously happen between now and then, but with two Cy Youngs already in his pocket (and you gotta figure he'll probably win one or two more at some point) his career seems headed in that direction.
    Same with guys like Mauer and Teixeira. The numbers aren't there yet, but by the time they're done they should be. There's still some work to do for that category, but they're on the inside track.

2. Ilmago

Ilmago Guest

What exactly are people seeing in Edmonds that screams HOFer? He was only an all star 4 times, has no significant benchmarks, was never a serious MVP candidate, has zero black ink, is only half way there in gray ink, his HOF monitor falls short, yes, he has gold gloves, but so does Gary Pettis and I don't see anyone stumping for him for the HOF. His 200-2004 peak was very good, but right in the middle of that peak, he only played 137 games..

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

Halladay already is in ... 13 years, about to win his second Cy (one in each league) three 20 win seasons and a 19.
    Carpenter has 13 years as well, and is not making it.
    Pettitte, close but not in.
    The only place Johan Santana is going after more shoulder surgery is the scrap heap.

Paul Konerko, Jim Edmonds and Jorge Posada ... you gotta be kidding.

4. Ilmago

Ilmago Guest

2-3 more solid years and I think he will be deserving. Probably won't get there, but he will be close.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

Pettitte is 38 years old and not sure he even wants to play next year. What makes you think he can have 2 or 3 more solid seasons?

6. Ilmago

Ilmago Guest

I just believe that he still passion for the game. He battled injuries this year, but all in all he pitched well. I see him pitching till he's at least 40-41.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

How close it Pettitte to 300 wins? I'd say he needs that to have a chance. I don't know how much the steroid admission will hurt him. In his case, it might not at all.

8. Ilmago

Ilmago Guest

He's sixty away from 300. He's one of the best postseason pitchers of all-time.

I think the PED's will hurt him somewhat, but like I mentioned above, 2-3 more good years puts him in(he''' be close, but I find it unlikely to happen)

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Tim Tebow

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

Pettitte has 240 wins. He's not getting anywhere near 300. And his 3.88 ERA is not getting him anywhere near Cooperstown, unless he wants to buy a ticket.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

For some reason, I thought he was in the 260 range. You're right, he'll be lucky to make it past the first round.

12. shockey

shockey Active Member

you go, boy friend. kids today. put 'em all in!! sheesh...

Draft saved Draft deleted