1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What passes as celebrity ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Gator, Jan 4, 2012.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I know that this will piss off some of the board red asses, particularly coming from me, but I can't think of a bigger waste of time than celebrity gossip. It's an embarrassment that smart people spend one red second on any of it. It infuriates me when it comes on my news show. It infuriates me when Katy Perry's marriage shows up as one of the main headlines on CNN or Yahoo! Every one of you is intellectually poorer for devoting one second of your precious time to it. I went to a wedding a few years ago and the first America's Next Top Model, Adrianne Curry, was there - cousin of the groom. She looked like a run-of-the-mill tall chick to me, but once she entered the reception, that's all anyone seemed to care about. The women were practically fainting over her presence.

(And I'm not talking about game shows or talent shows. I have no personal issue with Adrianne Curry, for example. But rather the idiotic gossip industry that surrounds them. Nor do I refer to serious biographies of people who have made actual cultural contributions.)

My mom doesn't know who the Secretary of State is, but she knows the 411 on every B-lister's pregnancy at any given moment. I think that's pretty much indefensible. A woman my wife works with, a teacher, told her students that the vice president's name is "Joe Bison" when the kids did a current events contest among teachers. But she follows the exploits of Snooki and "The Situation," among others, religiously. You want to defend that?

Call me a snob. Call me an elitist. I don't care. Wouldn't be the first or last time.

Ahhhhhh ... It just feels good to say all of it.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Brandi is the ex-wife of Eddie Cibrian, who was his WIFE at the time he started hooking up with LeAnn Rimes. That's how she's known.

(Hi Dick!)

3. imjustagirl

Well, I don't like you, so that's a plus on my ledger. :)

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I've never seen The Hills, Jersey Shore or the Real Housewives of Anywhere.

The only thing I've ever watched Kim Kardashian in was her sex tape.

But, I once started jumping up and down when I met Rupert from Survivor at a MNF game, so it's safe to say I can't pass judgment on what anyone else watches/likes. :D

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I'm Rick Santorum and I do not approve of this message.

6. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I just don't understand people.

That is all. :)

7. imjustagirl

Which side?

Or both?

8. jr/shotglass

I can't win with any answer there.

OK ... I'm closer to their side than yours. I think "giving in" to tabloid rumor-mongers is one of the most blatant examples of the dumbing-down of America. Sometimes, you need to look at that and just say, "Aren't we above this?"

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Then try 'Us,' or 'In Touch.'

10. jr/shotglass

Nah, the words they use are just as big.

11. imjustagirl

But why do we have to be "above" it? As I posted earlier, I think following sports is 20 times dumber. At least with celebrity gossip, I don't identify with the people involved. My world doesn't revolve around what happens, I don't plan my day around watching it, etc.

It's all in how you look at things.

12. jr/shotglass

I guess. I just allow myself the haughtiness to think that caring about what Snooki does is ... well .. dumb. And yes, dumber than caring about what Stephen Strasburg does.

Draft saved Draft deleted