1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What passes as celebrity ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Gator, Jan 4, 2012.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Anyone hear that Kim Kardashian got $600K to go to some club for New Year's?

2. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

And do what?

3. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

I just read that Demi Moore had a lesbian encounter with Brandi Glanville in 2009. Celebrities and reality sluts touch each other in pink places!

4. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

A beautiful mind. :D

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Google people.

6. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Nice.

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

First of all, as IJAG kinda touched on, reality TV is about unreality as it gets, featuring people who are richer, stupider, vainer, more handsome or beautiful, more quirky. more combative or who go to far more set-up-for-them parties than the vast majority of us, and are edited within an inch of spontaneity. I dabble in watching "reality TV" (Top Chef shows, Big Brother, Housewives shows when the wife forces me to), and it's for entertainment, escapism and to peek at a demimonde I wouldn't ever be a part of. Like any other entertainment, it's certainly possible to get too wrapped up in it. But that's always been the case in America; there's always been a means of escape that some people stay escaped with too much.

A true reality show would have a shot right now of someone like me, sitting at my laptop, with none of damn business in my other browser tab.

8. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

dooley, keepin' it real.

9. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I don't know about a celebrity, but I'm a fuckin' rock star, for sure.

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Awesome.

11. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Celebrities are famous people. The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills (hey, I had to look up this Brandi Glanville character, didn't I?) drew nearly 2.6 million viewers last week, according to zap2it.com. The lowest-rated episode in the show's run drew roughly 1.6 million viewers. So If approximately a million people in this country watch you on television most weeks, and another 600,000 to 1.6 million watch you occasionally, I think it's fair to say you're famous.

Calling someone a celebrity is not a compliment. It's not an insult, either. It's just a fact. Celebrities are famous people. Strangers may recognize celebrities. Celebrities might be greeted by an admirer at a grocery store. Your weather guy might be a local celebrity. Elizabeth Smart is a celebrity because something terrible happened to her, and she's hardly alone. And the Internet has enough room for people who want to make it their recreation or even vocation to blog and read blogs about celebrities. Who's to say it's any better than reading old Sports Illustrated stories on the SI Vault, which is more my style?

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

As a point of discussion - Are 'fame' and 'celebrity' interchangeable?

Draft saved Draft deleted