1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What passes as celebrity ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Gator, Jan 4, 2012.

1. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Rant alert:

About a decade ago, I covered a high school girls soccer player who eventually became a Bachelorette. I didn't follow the show too much, but I thought it was cool that I knew her. I recently did a Google search for her recently, and there are pages and pages of results. Now most of these are cheesy blogs, but she's known as a "celebrity."

This led me to wonder: What passes as a "celebrity" today? Apparently contestants (winners and losers) on the Bachelorette, any of those idiots on Jersey Shore, Octomom, the Bubble Boy family and White House crashers. In general, I'm embarrassed for all of these people. Of course, everyone can have their 15 minutes of fame, but there are far too many clocks these days.

And furthermore, I'm embarrassed for the people who consume this crap. Just say no to crappy celebrity blogs, people.

2. HC

HC Well-Known Member

It doesn't take much. I'm a nobody and Googling my name brings up over 50 pages of hits.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Hey, Gator...what if somebody said "Just say no to football, everybody?"

What one person enjoys doesn't really affect you in a real sense, right? So why are you the arbiter of what that one person should watch/read?

4. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Football players have talent.

5. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

I agree with Gator, but in a less abrasive way. We watch football because the levels we watch represent a high standard for that sport. We watch movies and listen to music because of certain expectation of quality.

In these "reality" shows, we expect train wreck of people doing things that make us feel good about ourselves.

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

But they're very high-quality train wrecks. The production value is high, the drama is high, the fashion is fun to discuss ... it's all in your own perceptions.

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

I appreciate you being embarrassed for me. But looking at one celebrity blog on a daily basis is about the hundredth thing on my personal list of items I feel embarrassed over. And I don't happen to care about one person or group you mentioned in your rant. There are much more interesting celebrities out there...

It's entertainment. It's an escape from a screaming baby for five minutes. Good lord.

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Why are you Googling high school girls from 10 years ago?

10. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I'm liking this thread.

11. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

That's because you are a whore for blind items and reveals.

You're welcome.

:D

12. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

I have no problem with celebrity blogs. Not in the least. People who want to read about actors, actresses, musicians, etc., are just as normal as people who get up and go to espn.com everyday. I have a problem with blog entries that follow people like Pauly D back home to Rhode Island and write about what he did over Christmas.

If reality stars are celebrities, then we celebrate mediocrity far too much.

Draft saved Draft deleted