1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What old co-workers are up to

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by copperpot, Jan 6, 2012.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I found an old phone list from one of my stops. At the time, with part-timers, we had a staff with 50+ people. Now, it's in the low 20s.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

You don't find it as much nowadays, but a lot of guys on the all news stations used to be former DJs.

A lot of talk radio hosts too.

3. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

They used to be former DJs? So, now they're DJs?

4. YankeeFan

Ha. I went back and added "former". I then thought about further explaining it, but passed.

Most of the former DJ's are now retired as some of the big AM stations switched programming back in the '60's and '70's.

So, they used to employ lots of former DJs. Not so much now.

5. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

I work at a job where, out of the 115 people in my same department, I am one of maybe 10 college grads.

I love my job though.

I know I will probably never use my journalism skills again. I am fine with it.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Or the station is bought up by a monolithic corporation bent on excreting McMusic or pseudo-fascist paranoid political shrieking across the nation's airwaves.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I agree with YF. Newspapers are on the skids, but the information business in general is booming beyond belief. Most organizations cannot cope with the amount of information they're generating. I know at my own day job, we could use about 50 copy editors at the company (although senior management has yet to see this truth). Those of you who acquired Web skills at your papers are desirable employees for almost any business you care to name.
    Nothing is as much fun as newspapers. But once you get past that awful truth, there are good jobs out there for people with newspaper-type skills.

8. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I still put my newspaper skills to work, though. I'm probably in the top five percent of all Army writers.

9. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

At the company I work for there are at least 5 former journalists that I can name off the top of my head and probably a few more. What has been said here about the lack of writing and communication skills at the corporate level is accurate in my experience.

10. YankeeFan

When I was at Continental, our head of Corporate Communications was a former TV reporter at KWGN in Denver, and our head of State & Civic relations was a former reporter & editor for the Houston Chronicle.

She's now the EVP of Communications and Government Affairs at United (post merger).

He's now the SVP & Chief Communications Officer at Delta.

Both are good people too:

http://news.delta.com/index.php?s=18&item=93

http://ir.united.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=83680&p=irol-govBio&ID=204727

11. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Uh....sure.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I can name three all from the same stop, that when they die, I will fly back to the town, spit in their grave and fly back home.

Draft saved Draft deleted