1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What, no thread yet on Obama's huge drop in the Newsweek poll?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by old_tony, Jul 14, 2008.

1. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

I don't know if he's lost support. I think the overarching theme of this campaign has been that people are not at all enthused about John McCain. On the other hand, they want to vote for Obama but aren't quite sure if they can trust him to lead the country because he's so new. That's where the flip-flop charges hurt him.

I think Obama will have a very small lead in the national polls until the convention. He'll get a modest bounce there, and he'll seal the deal when he can stand up toe-to-toe with John McCain in a debate and look presidential. Until he gets that opportunity, it will be a close race.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

For fuck's sake, just start the thread. Anyone who has a thread title like this makes me wanna say, "You didn't, either!"

3. dooley_womack1

And that's not a broadside at OT, one of my fave righties, but at the concept. At least I'm not so worked up about the TV Guide threads anymore. ;)

4. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I didn't take it as a swipe. In fact, it made me think, 'Ya know, he's right. What a dumb title I picked.' :D

p.s. Nice Tune a fish avatar!

5. dooley_womack1

Thanks, OT. One of the best album covers ever. And darn good songs, too.

6. Italian_Stallion

Italian_Stallion Active Member

I don't track these things. But can someone point to significant data over a number of elections that indicates that polls are generally inaccurate? Or the flipside? Are they generally accurate? I realize there are individual instances that support both. But what is the norm?

7. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

That album came out just as I got out of high school. And High Infidelity was by far the defining album of my dorm years in college. Just hearing a song off either of those albums takes me back damn near 30 years.

8. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Yes, there are some of us that believe McCain has a chance. Getting control of Congress back? Now there, let's talk about no chance.

9. dooley_womack1

Yeah, and it had a song that put the word "shit" on the radio. Love it when a song gets away with that.

10. Grimace

Grimace Guest

It's over:

http://www.quinnipiac.edu/x1295.xml?ReleaseID=1192

With commanding leads among women and young voters and near unanimous support from black voters, Illinois Sen. Barack Obama has a 50 - 41 percent lead over Arizona Sen. John McCain, according to a Quinnipiac University national poll of likely voters released today.

11. Are you this much of an idiot?

12. Grimace

Grimace Guest

It's over. This poll proves that McCain will lose. I don't understand why you don't see that. Nine points! I mean, nine points! There's no way McCain can overcome that deficit.

It's over. Don't even bother coming out to vote in Nov. It's all over.

Draft saved Draft deleted