1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What, no thread on the Lane Bryant lingerie ad?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dooley_womack1, Apr 24, 2010.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I hate that thread-titling concept, but I couldn't think of any other way to express my amazement (and I did a search on Lane Bryant).

http://www.examiner.com/x-12837-US-Headlines-Examiner~y2010m4d23-Plus-size-Lane-Bryant-lingerie-ad-banned-by-Fox-and-ABC-is-it-too-racy-videos-poll

Yeah, I can see the thought that Vic's Secret ads have women in bra and panties and are aired all the time. But the Lane Bryant ad is a little more suggestive; the model ends up heading out the door to meet a guy while putting an oversize button-down shirt over just bra and panties, with an f.m. look on her face. I can see why ABC and Fox may have a point about not showing it beyond the instant thought that they thought a zaftig woman would put off viewers. But I think Ashley Graham, the model, is way hotter than a V.S. model.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Looked like an overcoat (nitpick) like the standard "meet your boyfriend in just your underwear under a coat" cliche.

VS commercials don't even put on a coat.

3. Dooley only likes the Lane Bryant ad because it's not as popular as the Victoria's Secret ad.

4. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Thank you Dooley. Uh, what were we talking about?

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

A girl that big probably thought the guy really meant lunch.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I'd object more to the Barry Manilow tune in the background...

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

FOX, the guardian of America's tender virgin eyes. I love it. ::) ::)

The only thing I saw wrong with the commercial is that the cellphone message should have said, "meet Starman for lunch. And dinner."

8. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Don't wanna be crude, but... I'd be a motor-boatin' sonufabitch. :D
    Count me in as a fan of Ms. Graham. Seriously beautiful woman, and I see nothing in that commercial that's more racy than the Go Daddy commercials Fox has aired during the Super Bowl, or CBS's Victoria Secret wank-a-thon fashion shows, or a multitude of other stuff aired regularly.

9. dooley_womack1

Well, in the VS commercials, the images of the women are more fleeting. Some of the shots in the Lane Bryant ad lingered. And if it was an overcoat, it was history's shortest.

And novelist, I have no idea

10. dooley_womack1

Most. Obscure. Crossthread. Ever.

11. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

I just saw the video included in the story. Are you kidding me? Too racy? There's stuff just as bad, and worse, all over TV.
    And, BTW, that woman is gorgeous.

12. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Both ABC and Fox are objecting strenuously to the idea that they denied the ad, or so CNN told me earlier.

Draft saved Draft deleted