1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What? No SNL thread this week? (10-13)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BRoth, Oct 13, 2007.

1. BRoth

BRoth Member

Hey, Brian Williams is hosting next week! That's better than Bon Jovi?

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

3. BRoth

BRoth Member

I guess this week's show is failing with the live audience just as much as TV viewers. It sounds deader than usual tonight.

4. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

There should be a countdown to cancellation for this show.

5. Cape_Fear

Cape_Fear Active Member

I had to sit through the first two skits and the short until Mrs. Fear fell asleep.

The punching bit was totally worthless. Besides, everybody knows a kick in the jewels is way funnier.

6. BRoth

BRoth Member

Hopefully this will suffice:

7. Flash

Flash Guest

Is Sambora drunk? He completely forgot his line.

8. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

The takeoff on the Dane Cook playoff commercials was pretty damn good. Sudekis nailed it, and I fucking hate those commercials.

And who was in charge of making the Heisman Trophy for the Al Gore sketch? That thing was ridiculous looking.

Also, I think Bill Hader might be Satan. Something about him just creeps me out.

9. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

Nice find...........And the Benny Hill music, too.

10. BRoth

BRoth Member

I really don't know why SNL is doing so many jokes about sports this season ... it seems like much more than usual. I guess it's just a sign that they're that desperate.

Nonetheless, the Cook sketches were great, even if the live audience didn't have a clue what was going on.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I think the key to getting a sketch on the show is take a tepid joke and then hammer it to death for three minutes. I found myself looking away from the TV because I was embarrassed for the performers.
    They've done New Jersey bits to death (we get it, NJers talk funny)
    Sambora's bit in the monologue was the funniest thing on the show because he screwed it up.
    The spaceship/lost purse thing was just plain sad. Heder's Italian talk show has always been painful to watch, the scab writer and "political comedian" bit on the news was very lame, the Gore thing was way too long. The Barkley/Bjork thing had potential, but seemed tossed off.
    And if you're going to do a Notre Dame football bit, why don't you have Weis doing a Rockne-esque speech before the team gets pummeled again? and again?
    I don't know who is more desperate at this point. Brian Williams for agreeing to guest-host, or SNL for needing him to get some buzz. Seeing Williams deal with Colbert makes me think he may be the funniest person on stage next week. I know I'm going to be disappointed but I'd like to see sketches of him with Katie Couric and Charlie Gibson at the "anchors club" being confronted by the "cable news anchors" ala Anchorman and perhaps a few shots at Russert and Matthews mixed in. But again, it will likely be lame.

12. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

I liked the political comedian bit and the Barkley-Bjork thing. Kristen Wiig can be very funny; her Bjork was hilarious.

Draft saved Draft deleted