1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What.....no running US Womens Open Thread?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef, Jul 12, 2009.

1. Chef

Chef Active Member

Best round shot by anyone this week?

Next years open.....Oakmont.

Someone may not break 75 there next year.

2. Double J

Double J Active Member

Only one player under par through three rounds. Wow.

Paula Creamer had a rough day. So did Alexis Thompson, the 14-year-old wunderkind who was five shots off the lead entering Saturday's round - she's now 11 back. But at least she made the cut, the youngest person to do so in this tournament since 1947.

3. Kerr is playing so well. I will be surprised if she doesn't win.
    Creamer, man I felt bad her. The wheels really came off on No. 10? when she took a triple bogey on a potential birdie hole.
    Brittany Linciciome, who won the Nabisco, is tied for 8th, six shots back.
    Looking forward to this afternoon.

4. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

OK, I'm not a huge LPGA fan, and I probably only paid as much attention as I did because the story went on one of my pages today, but ... 1) What the heck happened to Cristie Kerr in the final round? It looked like she had the thing sewn up. And 2) That was some kind of putt Ji made to win it. A lot of people would've gone up there and left it short, tapped in and moved on to the playoff (and I cringed when I saw Yahoo's headline: "Ji whiz!" -- ugh).

5. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Kerr just had one of those days when nothing worked. She made eight bogeys in the first three rounds and five in the final round. Made 10 birdies in the first three rounds and made one on Sunday. And she stood up and admitted she played bad.

As good as the putt was by Ji, how about that second shot? If she leaves the shot a foot shorter it gets caught on the wrong side of the ridge and leaves her with a 25-foot putt.

6. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Giulia Sergas actually shot 67 on Friday. It's to remember that since she shot 76 and 80 on the weekend. She did sport a nice dew rag on Sunday though.

7. melock

melock Well-Known Member

One more thing I'd like to add.

Ji makes a 15-foot putt for birdie on the 72nd hole to win the U.S. Women's Open and it didn't even get a lead on the opening of Sportscenter. Not that what is or isn't a lead on Sportscenter is what anything should be judged on.

I think that's an awful decision and disrespectful of the event and the winner. Wonder what would have happened had it been Michelle Wie making the putt. Then again she has to make it in to the Open to even have that kind of opportunity.

8. Double J

Double J Active Member

You're right.

Hopefully the next commissioner of the LPGA can address the growing inability of the tour to get the proper attention for its marquee events.

Of course, it would help if the LPGA itself addressed the way it treats some of its higher-profile events.

9. partain

partain Member

"Ji makes a 15-foot putt for birdie on the 72nd hole to win the U.S. Women's Open and it didn't even get a lead on the opening of Sportscenter. Not that what is or isn't a lead on Sportscenter is what anything should be judged on."

Also have to wonder if a blond-haired, blue-eyed girl making the same shot would have been in that opening. No doubt about Michelle Wie, but would Kerr have made the opening? My guess is the USGA and LPGA weren't thrilled about handing the trophy to someone who needed a translator to handle the post-round interviews.

10. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

And in some of the quotes I read this morning, there are actually a couple of "you knows" in there. That's bizarre.

11. melock

melock Well-Known Member

When someone says something like, "you know," I just leave it out. No need for that to be in there IMO.

12. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

But it was in the translation, which is odd. Either the translator, heard live on NBC, is giving us the verbatim translation -- and who knew "you know" was used in Korea -- or he threw it in himself.

Draft saved Draft deleted