1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What,no f*** Kobe thread?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spnited, Apr 2, 2010.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

Three-year, $90 million extension for Kobe and we have no comment?
    I am stunned.

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Big fan of it, actually.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

I agree, Ryan but given the way Kobe is villified around here ...

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

True.

I didn't hear the numbers until you posted them. But hell, whatever it takes, I guess. I ain't complaing.

5. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

It's good timing, since Kobe Bryant has been ripping the team's recent efforts. Now he can say, "Hey, I'm renewing my commitment here, likely for the rest of my career. Let's get back on track."

Not that I think they'll win the title this year. I didn't think they win it last year until after Game Five against Denver, but this year's team doesn't feel like a champion. If they can hold off Orlando for the second-best record, if they can dispatch Portland or San Antonio with minimal problems in the first round, if they can hold off Dallas or Denver's playoff challenge . . . too many ifs, and that's even before you think about the fact Cleveland has played like a world-beater all year.

Make no mistake, I'm ecstatic with Kobe winning one title post-Shaq. The point has been made. If Shaq wins another this year, it will be because he's gravy-training off the best player in the game, not because he's a dominator or major factor aside from being a massive body.

As for the money itself: I hated when Shaquille O'Neal asked for such numbers from the organization, and I hate that Kobe signed for that kind of money. But I guess the whole salary cap issue doesn't really matter with the players they already have, and the small window they have remaining based on the ages of Kobe Bryant, Pau Gasol and Ron Artest.

Unless Andrew Bynum stops getting hurt and starts dominating. Yeah, I'm laughing at the very thought too.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

a) You can't win championships in the NBA without one of the 5 best players in the league.

2) Kobe is and will most likely continue to be one of those players for the duration of the contract.

c) if he doesn't get the money Buss gets to keep it. Buss has plenty of money.

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Have we all not become numb to the money?

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The salary cap for this season is $57.7M. If Buss is willing to eat up more than half of future caps for the next 3 years with one player, more power to him.

9. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Whatever happened to the "max" contract?

10. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

Whatever happened to Max on Max?

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Whatever happened to Max Headroom?

12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I believe so ... I know it's all Monopoly money to those involved anyway, so why bother with the "what is wrong with salaries" theatrics.

Draft saved Draft deleted