1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What music from today will stand the test of time?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Boobie Miles, Feb 11, 2007.

1. Double J

Double J Active Member

Apparently it's not a good idea to ask him to sing "Summer of '69." The whiny little baby will stop his show, order the house lights to be turned on and not resume the show until the "offender" is thrown out.

No relation? So they're not two more of Hank's illegitimate offspring?

2. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Will there or won't there be an oldies tour of rappers who band together because they all have one or two songs that people from back in the day enjoy?

I say maybe.

3. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

I always have my ears open for something worth while, but I honestly keep hearing renditions of the same stuff, over and over. Rock 'n' roll has been in a rut for almost 15 years now and there's really no model in place which can save it.

Radio is dead. Sure you have satellite radio, but everything on there is specialized into neat little genres. Lester Bangs once wrote that we will never agree on anything like we agreed on Elivs. He was right. The common bonds which run across music aren't there. Communal experiences listening to music, whether that be on the radio or on MTV, are long gone. My favorites aren't your favorites, and I can't even say I dislike your favorites because I don't have the time to listen to them. And everyone listens to music on headphones.

4. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

And that's the point junkman, we're trying to figure this out after these bands have made at most four or five albums. There aren't many bands that transcend generations. There are songs that are their generations, but a lot of the music that is produced goes by the wayside.

If there are 5-10 bands that sum up this generational ten-year span or whatever we want to call it, that'll be pretty good going in my opinion.

5. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Last time I checked, a communal experience listening to music was at a concert, not watching a TV.

6. Claws for Concern

I just hope the blues stays alive with guys and gals listening, grooving and jamming to the greats and that they discover their own original voice for said music.

7. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Maybe the best hard-rock/metal band to emerge in the last decade has been Godsmack.

So the answer to the original question, at least from the genre that happens to be my favorite, is: very little.

As for the Beatles/DMB comparison: here's a better one: The Grateful Dead and DMB. They both have mediocre singers, they both have legions of fans who get stoned and follow them around on tour. Then they collect the bootlegs and use them as the soundtrack for the next time they get stoned.

Though DMB has a larger female following.

8. Double J

Double J Active Member

You could have that right now with the likes of Tone Loc (Wild Thing and Funky Cold Medina), Kyper (Tic Tac Toe), Mellow Man Ace (Mentirosa), JJ Fad (Supersonic) and other one-hit wonders I can't pick off the top of my head.

Maybe the truest thing he ever wrote. Elvis met with a lot of criticism from music snobs and old farts but he also had unprecedented across-the-board approval on the radio and in the marketplace. He's the only artist in history to take the same song to No. 1 on the pop, R&B and country charts, and he did it three or four separate times. That kind of thing will never, ever happen again as long as we live.

Two days ago was the 43rd anniversary of the night 73 million Americans turned on their televisions to watch and listen to this strange new group from Liverpool, England. Still a hallmark event in music history.

9. zaphod

zaphod New Member

. . . except that precisely because satellite radio makes all these "neat little genres" available to me in one easy package, I am listening to a wider array of music today than I ever could in the days of AM Radio superiority. My musical appreciation has widened, not narrowed, because of sat radio. Yeah, I have my earphones on, but I'm just as likely to be listening to the North Mississippi All-Stars as I am to Bruce Springsteen.

10. Claws for Concern

I'm watching the Grammys (on the West Coast) and try as I might, I don't care to hear the young generation's stars (John Mayer has potential, but he's still working on building something strong) in 2027.

11. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

I now want to go to a Ryan Adams concert just to do that. There's nothing I hate more than someone who takes themselves too seriously, and it sounds like he fits that. Sounds like you have some pretty good knowledge on how that situation plays out... every been dragged to a Ryan Adams concert and then tried to make a joke that wasn't well received, Double J?

12. zaphod

zaphod New Member

. . . which probably says more about the subsequent evolution of American music marketing and promotion than it does about the nature of the artist.

Draft saved Draft deleted