1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What music from today will stand the test of time?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Boobie Miles, Feb 11, 2007.

1. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

Hey, I was just pinch-hitting until you reappeared. You are absolved, BYH. :)

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

No, you just don't hear about them because their music didn't last, but it's nice to pretend that pre-packaged pop didn't exist back then.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

Well, being the dickhead that you are, you can't even get that right. ::)
    And will you please change that damn sig. If makes me puke. ;D

4. shockey

shockey Active Member

sure, there were all the one-hit wonder, beatles wannabes. the point is, where are today's today's beatles, stones, the who, led zep, etc., and all their knockoffs? if dmb is the best cougargirl can come up with, oy vey.

5. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

I'm just into bands that not only kick some major ass, but also have a distinctive sound. When you hear a Metallica song, you know it's Metallica. When you hear a Godsmack song, you know it's Godsmack. When you hear Priest, it's Priest, etc... Now when people try to introduce me to new "bands," they all sound like the same whiny-ass punks that I wouldn't be surprised if they never experienced the shittier side of life (if you read Sully Erna's autobio, you know). And not only that, these kids are too gutless to try to do something truly different, and that doesn't include a weird get-up like Panic or AFI or who-the-fuck-else. I'd like to drop these pansies in the middle of a coke-and-booze fueled Slayer pit and see what happens.

6. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Disagree. They get those acts because the producers, who are Baby Boomers, like to please the FCC, which is run by Baby Boomers, and so they play the music or book the acts that they like - and so you get McCartney.

I'd love to know what percentage of the organic Grammy audience is under 25 and knows those songs, versus how many "stage groupies" were imported for the show. Of course those kids are going to know the songs - it's their job for the night.

7. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Honestly, I think there's a lot of good stuff out there if you think about it.

I have no doubt that if they continue as they have started, the music of bands like The Killers, Franz Ferdinand, Coldplay, Foo Fighters, Jimmy Eat World, Weezer, The White Stripes, Beck (Although he emerged slightly before the 1997 window), Rage against the Machine, AFI and others in this era will stand up very well.

Just as you can't go looking for the next Jordan or the next Ruth or the next Sanders, you shouldn't go looking for the next Springsteen or the next Lennon. Let the bands so what they do.

Nice call on Ryan Adams as well, by the way.

8. shockey

shockey Active Member

my kids and i enjoyed "american idiot" together, because it was that rarity of today -- a complete rock album, from beginning to end. as one of my co-workers said when i turned him onto it, "the best rock album i've heard in 10 years."

and that's, what, 2 or 3 years old now? it's sad.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I'll give you Lucinda Williams on that. All but the last two among the others are so unknown as to not be part of what we're talking about.

10. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Sure, but there's a reticence from the older generation to actually listen to the newer stuff without having dismissed in their minds beforehand. I like Zeppelin and the Who a hell of a lot, but Coldplay, Franz Ferdinand and Weezer are producing great music right now.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Sorry, not even close. Pearl Jam, if anybody, would be that. Then again, with all the things that started with the Beatles, I don't think there'll really be anyone that's an equivalent.

12. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

Yeah, my point wasn't about music today being as good as back then. It was that people act like the whole prepackaged pop thing is unique to today, and that's not true. Not really a big point, but that's what it was.

Draft saved Draft deleted