1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What music from today will stand the test of time?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Boobie Miles, Feb 11, 2007.

1. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Paul Simon still releases on a major label and tours. Does that make him an artist of today?

2. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

Man, I really don't care. You go by whatever you want. If you want to set a date and a certain percent of that groups work/best work has to be after it, that's fine. I was just trying to start a conversation, sorry I didn't draft a formal report on what constitutes music of today.

3. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Music of today that will still get airplay 20 years from now (even if they only get limited airplay now) ... Lucinda Williams, Slaid Cleaves, Rod Picott, Old 97s, Roger Clyne & the Peacemakers, Dar Williams, Tift Merritt, Susan Tedeschi, Shelby Lynne, and Ryan Adams to name a few.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

That's a pretty liberal interpretation of the criteria. I'd expect nothing less than a liberal interpretation from you. :D :D :D

Paul Simon has released three albums in the last 10 years. Pearl Jam has released five albums, a live CD, a rareties double CD and a greatest hits double CD since the end of 1996.

Plus, Pearl Jam's members are in their late 30s/early 40s. Health permitting, they've got almost as much time ahead of them as artists as behind them, even if they may never reach the peak they enjoyed in the early '90s. They're in the middle of their round of golf, not clearly on the back nine.

5. Boobie Miles

I feel like it's kinda hard to break it down to a science. It's music. Tupac and BIG haven't made a lot of new music in the last decade (actually they kind of have, but that's another topic) but I still consider it music of today, because I grew up with it and it's still stuff I listen to and you hear. I guess that's what's making it a little hard because I have this idea of what's today, because I'm really just going by the music of my youth, not so much "today." Obviously some people here are older so it's no the same for them.

And Buck, I'm not stressin my man. I just didn't think it out enough to worry about what constitutes today.

6. Chef

Chef Active Member

Dickless Chicks are irrelevant, as is their music. The countdown is on until all of them appear naked on a magazine cover.........oh.
    RHCP will still be very listenable in 10 years, as will DMB, Bruce, and U2.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

Wow. That's a little harsh.

8. Boobie Miles

Haha I was thinking the same thing. I think I've heard of Ryan Adams, but have no idea what he sings, and I've heard Susan Tedeschi's "Hurt So Bad" and that song is treeemendous. But that's it for that list.

9. shockey

shockey Active Member

gosh, listen to some music. lucinda williams annd dar williams -- no relation -- are tremendous. 8)

10. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

The problem today is that the radio stations are too fragmented or specialized, catering to a niche in the market.
    Of the 12 artists I mentioned, 2 are Grammy Award winners (Lucinda Williams, Shelby Lynne), 2 others were nominated and lost (Tift Merritt, Susan Tedeschi). Three or four others are getting rave reviews from posters on the Music Thread (Old 97s, Roger Clyne, Ryan Adams, and I think I've got some fellow Slaid Cleaves fans over there), the rest are bands that are getting rave reviews from the Americana music press or the independent music press (Rod Picott - Slaid Cleaves' sometimes songwriting partner, and Dar Williams - a great singer-songwriter)

11. Boobie Miles

OK, so set some year/date and criteria, and then we'll get on with the topic.

12. Boobie Miles

Ok. So where does that put a band like Green Day?

Draft saved Draft deleted